GPM Thru 2" Question (Valveman Halp!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Gritres

Reaction score
I've got a newly installed 2" shallow well with a johnson 10 foot 0.012 screen. I'm getting 15-20 GPM. Is this enough water velocity through that big 2 inch pipe to ensure that sand that is able to get through the screen comes up with the water or am I running the risk of building up a lot of sand in the screen over time? Valveman I saw in another thread where you had mentioned 3 feet per second to bring up pebbles, I can do the math to figure out the right GPM for my pipe but I'm wondering where you're getting that value from and if you have a link to a chart or if it's just a well known approximation.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
15 GPM through 2" is 1.49 feet per second. I have an old well worn book I get this from. You can probably find fps on most pipe friction loss charts. It is the .012 screen that keeps pebbles out of YOUR well. Anything that can come through that .012 opening will be light enough to come to the top. No worries.

Gritres

Reaction score
ya i was just worried about the small stuff. i have a spin down filter after the pump and it is ominously clean, but i overpumped the hell out of it at first to clean the well so i guess there's just not that much fine stuff down there.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is off the original topic, but I must comment. There are very few, if any, rivers that have water safe enough to drink. There is a scientific name that I can't recall, but the common name is "Beaver Fever". Even here in Washington State's high mountains where there are not human inhabitants above the withdrawal place, animals leave their calling cards in and near the water. The water looks clean, perfectly clear and beautiful, but you drink it at your own peril. I would be very concerned if I were you and look into a treatment system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks