Gould J10S w/ Cracked Cast Iron Parts and Other Problems

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by BillyJoeJimBob, Oct 30, 2013.

1. BillyJoeJimBob

BillyJoeJimBob New Member

The motor works just fine.

1) The Casing (1K333) is cracked where the pump was not drained properly and water froze inside, and then some time before I acquired it, the crack was welded badly. I've ground-down the bad weld to fully-expose the crack, in preparation for getting it welded again.

2) I broke one of the dog-ears off the Motor Adapter (K310) by over-tightening it. I think it can be welded & repaired.

3) I broke the Impeller (2K61) by tapping it with a rubber mallet, trying to loosen it from the shaft.

3) Finally the Diaphragm (5K162) is stiff, rusty, ragged and looks like it needs to be replaced.

I've made a few phone calls and have been told that you cannot by just the pump assembly; you can only buy the (expensive) parts one at a time. I've looked online and it appears the pump is the "weakest link" as I find no one selling a broken J10S with a bad motor & good pump.

I'd like to rebuild the pump and put it into service as a booster pump, with a adequately performing Grundfos MQ, or failing that, either do "something" with the motor, or sell it. But I cannot find a market for these motors, even though they seem to be high-quality. Can I buy a non-Gould pump and use this motor with it? I have this working, seemingly high-quality motor and am looking for a way to avoid throwing it away. Any help?

pump1.jpg pump2.jpg pump3.jpg pump4.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Welding cast iron is generally a pathway to failure. Why not keep the motor as a spare for a new J series pump?
  3. BillyJoeJimBob

Is it cast iron? I just assumed it was because it was bumpy. The previous weld might have worked if it hadn't been 1/8" off the crack, lol...

If I were to buy another pump, I would want something heavier-duty? Besides that, I don't see the motor likely to go bad. I've had this thing laying around for a couple of years and it's time to do something with it.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Any cast iron pump that has water freezing in it will die an early death, and heavy duty don't enter into it. The Goulds J+ series jet pumps are top quality items.

All that said, the motor is a standard pump motor with a 56J frame, so maybe you can find a burned-out pump to match it up with.
  5. justwater

justwater Well Drilling/Service

like wetboots said, J10 is top of the line but nothing cast iron and full of water is gonna stand up to a freeze. did you call around to any drillers/installers to see what they had laying around? i know ive got a couple used pump ends for that motor, good chance some others closer to you do too... for cash no doubt. good luck
  6. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I have always had better luck with brazing on cast iron.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

...and the nice thing about a good used pump end from a dealer, is that the impeller has already been safely removed, so no rubber mallet required...
  8. craigpump

craigpump Member

A competent welder using nickel rod can fix that, but it may distort from the heat.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

I'd still think the money would be better utilized on a used pump end, or a local bargain on a lightning victim pump.
  10. craigpump

craigpump Member

No argument there, I wouldn't waste my time on it either.
  11. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Cast Iron can be repaired, If done properly.

The key is to heat the complete piece up, before attempting to repair the bad area.

Some Backward Welders use a gas Grill to preheat the work piece.

Next time you should consider using a Torque wrench, and make sure everything is lined up properly.

May be best to buy another, I would not trust that one unless I used JB Waterweld. LOL

Good Luck.
  12. BillyJoeJimBob

The JB Weld. Was that a joke? Because I'm thinking about trying it.