Gould J05 questions

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by F6Hawk, Apr 28, 2012.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk New Member

I just bought a house with a J05 hydro pro system with a V60MP tank, and the water table is about 7-8' below the surface. The house is plumbed with 1/2" copper, and the water is fairly hard with 10 gpg and about 2 ppm of iron. There is currently a water softener installed, but not sure how long it has been there, nor how often the previous owner kept up with it.

When using the washing machine, pressure drops from 52 to 32 psi, then the pump kicks on. While it is filling (running water), it won't recover the pressure tank. If I turn on the kitchen sink, it barely trickles out. Once water demand stops, the pump brings the tank back up from about 34 psi to 52 and finally shuts off about 52 psi.

Is this normal? Is the recovery time about right? Or might I need to rebuild the pump? And based on the hardness and iron of the water, I am nervous that there may be a lot of scale in the pump or in the copper lines. I guess the only way to know for sure is to cut one open and look.

Your thoughts/advice on the pump recovery time and performance would be appreciated.

TIA!!
  2. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

I think that is a 1/2 HP pump. Could be something wrong with the pump as it should give decent service with a high water level.

Might need to upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 HP.
  3. F6Hawk

F6Hawk New Member

Yes, it is a 1/2 HP pump. I was hoping to get some feedback on the recovery time... is it reasonable?