Gould 1 HP pump / wellxtrol wx250 with sprinkler pressure issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

AirCactus

Reaction score
I am a novice with wells and related and have an issue with a well pump and sprinkler system

I have used this installed system for many years with both household and the sprinkler systems with no problems-- up to now.
Having been gone for a few days, I returned to no water pressure. I could not get the pressure control valve to make up and run the pump unless I held a little switch down on the top of it down, and when I let it up, the pump would quit. I replaced the pressure control valve with a similar 30 - 50 psi switch with a control arm on the side, auto - on - off.

First thing I noticed was that I had to hold the side lever until the pressure in the tank built up to 30, and then the pump would continue on until 50 and shut down. System is operating normal with household usage, and a single outdoor hose bib outlet

The problem is that once the sprinkler system it turned on, pressure drops about 10 psi in about 5 seconds, and then continues to drop to 30 psi - and the pump turns on. Pressure builds up to about 40 with zone one activated, and then when zone 1 closed and zone 2 opens, pressure drops again to about 30, starts to rise again but will not build back much past 35. By the time zone 2 shuts down, and zone 3 starts, the pressure drops again to about 30 and holds at 30 until zone 3 shuts and zone 4 starts. Pressure with zone 4 drops below 30 and so on until there is no pressure, and the bladder tank runs empty. There was never an issue like this with the older control valve and you could apply power to the system when empty and it would turn on and pump up without any manual effort involved.

The bladder tank reads that was charged to 30 psi - factory setting - and with no water in the tank and the pressure at 0, the psi reading is also 0. With the pump running and the inline pressure gauge reading 30, the tank psi is 30, same for when the gauge reads 50 -- the tank pressure is 50.

Oh, and once the sprinkler systems is off, the pressure builds from 30 up to full with 50 psi showing (in just a matter of seconds), and the bladder tank now with 50 psi, the pump shuts down, and the pressure holds.

Considering all functioned normally before I changed the pressure switch (no other changes of any kind to any of the system), and the system works correctly with normal household water usage, I would welcome some possible issues as you might see them....

The pressure switch?
A bad bladder?
A well pump that is weak?
Something else a novice couldn't think of at this stage of the game?

Thanks for your thoughts, and if I get to the bottom of this, I will post the remedy.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Sounds like zone 4 uses too much water. Your switch is designed to shut off when pressure gets below about 25 psi. It is a good safety device in case of low water, but you need to adjust your zones and possibly your storage tank capacity to keep it above its shut off zone.

You might want to try 40-70 psi and be sure you have a large enough tank to give 20 or more gallons drawdown. Or listen in for ideas on a CSV, good for irrigation.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks