Goodman CPLE24-1C Heat Pump. Bad defrost circuit board?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by sparker, Feb 23, 2009.

1. sparker

sparker New Member

Here's my problem:

On cold nights, temps in the 20's here in NC, my heat pump goes into defrost cycle but seems not to come out, blows cold air with no warm air returning. During the day, when the outside temperature increases, the defrost cycle works fine. i.e. goes into cycle for about 3-5 minutes, fan turns off, cold air blows out, but the heat then returns as normal. Does this sound like a bad defrost timer circuit board?

It seems like heat kits are optional in this part of the country. I looked at my air handler and stamped on the placard was "No Heat Kit."

It only does this on cold nights, but otherwise the system seems to work fine. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Electric heat kits are needed where outside temperatures get too cold for the heat pump to funcion well , or at all. 20º is probably below where that heat pump will work.
  3. SHill

SHill Retired HVAC Tech

There is not anything wrong with the defrost board. Remember, when a heat pump goes into defrost cycle, it is actually going into the AC mode. When in the ac mode, the liquid line heats up to melt the frost/ice buildup on the liquid line & coil inside the HP. This also pushes cold air thru the ducts.

If you don't have any type of aux heat, like electric backup, then you will only get cold air until the unit goes out of defrost mode. The colder the temp gets outside, the longer the heat pump may stay in defrost mode.

Being low on freon also may cause this. But in your case, I don't that is a problem.