Goodman 1.5 ton spilt unit. Fan turns slow and breaker trips

Users who are viewing this thread

pumpjet52

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 20yr old Goodman heat pump for upstairs cooling. a few days ago it quit cooling. I went outside to find the 20amp breaker tripped.

I reset the breaker and noticed the fan turning at about 1/4 speed and a humming noise that lasted for about 5-10 seconds. Then whenever I turned on the thermostat the breaker trips.

I've already replaced the capacitor (MARS 12264 30+5.0 MF), still does the same thing.

Need some help in troubleshooting this old thing.

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
After 20 years I think the motor is toast. I also would have change the CAP. If this is the condensor fan, check the contacts on the relay. With a 20 amp breaker is this a 110 volt system?
If this is the outside unit (compressor and fan), disconnect the fan motor and see if the compressor runs and the breaker does not trip, then is is the fan motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks