Good Pressure; Poor flow

Users who are viewing this thread

mijway

Reaction score
I have a well with a submersable pump. Water flow has dropped significantly. Pressure switch is 20/40 psi. Air pressure in tank is 18 psi. Pump kicks on at 20 psi, jumps to 25 psi, and continues to 40 psi. However, water flow remains very low.

Problem was first discovered while watering the lawn and noticed that water flow had stopped. Pressure gauge showed zero. I tripped the circuit breaker and waited until the next day. Next day the system worked OK for a while. Then water flow diminished to a level that would not operate the sprinkler head.

Where do I start looking for the problem? Water lines, tank, pump, well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pressure climbs to 40 and the pump shuts off while you are running the sprinkler, a filter or water line is clogged. If the pressure does not rise while you are running the sprinkler, the pump or the well is the next place to look.

mijway

Reaction score
I just tested the system again. There was improvement, but still below par.

The pump does come on while the sprinkler is running and builds to 40 psi before kicking off. I tested the water flow in a five gal. bucket for both the front and rear valve.

Rear 2.7 gal/min
Front 1.9 gal/min
Rear 2.7 gal/min

The only filter would be in the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you don't have a filter, then something is restricting the line out to the sprinklers. If the pump can still build to 40 and shut off while the sprinkler is running, your pump is moving plenty of water and it is just not able to get to the sprinklers.

mijway

Reaction score
The pipe from the well is plastic and drops down about 42" to galvanized piping that goes to the pressure tank, pressure switch and pressure gauge. The galvanized piping then connects to copper distribution piping.

The house is about 32 years old and I assume this is the original system. Public water was added sometime later, so the well water is plumbed for outside purposes only.

I plan on replacing all of the galvanized pipe.

Is it OK to use plastic pipe?
Can I replace the pressure switch with a 40/60 psi switch?
Would it be a good idea to replace the pressure tank while I am at it?
Is there some information depository where I can find out the age of the well, depth, etc.?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is the pipe leaving the pressure tank and going to the sprinklers that is restricted. The tank is getting plenty of water, or the pump would not build up and shut off, while pressure is low at the sprinklers. Raising the pressure may help, as long as your pump can build that much pressure. But if you raise the pressure switch and the pump can't cut off, you will have to turn it back down.

mijway

Reaction score
Thank you valveman. I went online and did find the original data for my well.

Date: 7/18/1974
Depth: 95 ft.
Casinf Dia.: 4 in.
Casing lenght: 54 ft.
Aquifer: shale
Static water level: 50 ft.
Drawdown: 5 ft.
Test Rate: 40 gpm
Test Duration: 1 hr.

mijway

Reaction score
I increased pressure setting to 50/30 psi and have significant improvement. Have not rechecked gpm to see if anything has been dislodged in the lines.

PoppyBear

Reaction score
Online data on well

Hello Mijway, can you tell me where you searched online to find the info on your well? I need information on my well but I don't know where to start. Thanks for any help!

Bill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks