Good Pratice to lube threaded connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Is it good practice to lube a threaded connection if you think it's ever going to be removed .

Removed a tubular brass with *male head* that was threaded onto PVC .
Was a bear as I did not want to wrench too hard to have the tubular break off on the weld .....in which the male was attached.

I'm going to assume the male head was chrome platted brass, but there was crud buildup between the threads, hence more grunt needed to remove it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also, avoid plastic female threaded connections. Since many of the threaded fittings are tapered, it's like putting a wedge in there...the plastic eventually gives up the ghost and splits. Plastic into a metal fitting generally is reliable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It must be a "bear" to clean off afterwards. If they are not going to get wet, then they will not corrode. Using "lubricants" on rubber seals can "dissolve" them and THAT will make them almost impossible to remove.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks