Good news for some folks...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
No words are neccessary:

KUWAIT/JEDDAH (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia's elderly King Abdullah will leave for the United States on Monday for medical checks for a back ailment, and Crown Prince Sultan is returning from holiday abroad, state media said on Sunday.

Political stability in the monarchy is of global concern. The Gulf Arab state controls more than a fifth of the world's crude reserves, is a vital U.S. ally in the region, a major holder of dollar assets and home to the biggest Arab bourse.

Western diplomats in Riyadh said the king's departure and the crown prince's sudden return indicate the kingdom, which has no political parties or elected parliament, is trying to prevent a power vacuum and reassure Washington and other allies.

Prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi said the royal court's fourth medical bulletin in little more than a week showed the desert kingdom, known for its secrecy, wanted to dispel any rumors.

"They want to make a point that there is no room for rumors ... Everybody should know that we do have a system to resolve all unexpected situations," he added, pointing to an allegiance council set up by Abdullah to regulate the succession.

But analysts say the ruling Al Saud family, which founded the kingdom with clerics in 1932, will remain a gerontocracy unless it soon promotes younger princes, as those at the top are all in their 70s and 80s.

The king is thought to be 86 or 87 and Sultan is only a few years younger. Many technocrat ministers such as Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi are in their 70s.

Abdullah, seen by Washington as a moderate at the helm of a pivotal Muslim country, was admitted to hospital on Friday after a blood clot complicated a slipped disc he suffered the week before.

"The king will leave on Monday for the United States to complete medical tests," the Saudi Press Agency SPA said.

Diplomats said there has been uncertainty about the extent of his health problems since Abdullah canceled a visit to France in July.

Crown Prince Sultan, who has had unspecified health problems over the past two years, will return to Riyadh on Sunday evening from Morocco, where he has been since August.

Saudi officials say Sultan, who is also defense minister, has been working normally since returning in December from an extended medical absence. Diplomats say he was treated for cancer and has since then been much less active in public.

During his stay in Morocco, the Saudi cabinet approved a rare salary increase for soldiers, a classic domain of Sultan.

The United States is keen to see reforms continue after the September 11 attacks of 2001 on U.S. cities brought Saudi Arabia's puritanical Wahhabi form of Sunni Islam to the top of global concerns. Fifteen of the 19 al Qaeda attackers were Saudi.

Saudi Arabia has become key to global efforts to fight al Qaeda. A Saudi intelligence tip-off helped Western governments stop package bombs destined for the United States that were sent on planes out of Yemen last month.

PRINCE NAYEF

Interior Minister Prince Nayef, comparatively youthful at around 76, was appointed second deputy prime minister in 2009 in a move which analysts say will secure leadership in the event of serious health problems afflicting the king and crown prince.

The position does not guarantee that Nayef would become king but places him in a strong position to shape policy. Most diplomats expect it as he has steadily expanded his influence into other areas, discussing even inflation or economic policy.

In some government offices Nayef's picture has been added to that of Abdullah, Sultan and state founder Abdul-Aziz Ibn Saud.

Analysts and diplomats see this as part of the jostling for position at the top of the ruling family.

Last week the king transferred control of the National Guard, an elite Bedouin corps that handles domestic security, to his son Mitab, and diplomats expected more royal moves.

"This appears to be the sign that changes are coming and younger princes are now getting promoted," said Dubai political analyst Theodore Karasik.

So far only sons of the state founder can become kings, of which about 20 are left, some in ill health.

With both the king and crown prince indisposed, Prince Nayef has featured heavily in state media over the past week.

The veteran security chief was in an ebullient mood when he met reporters in Mecca before the haj pilgrimage last week and state media made a formal announcement that he would oversee the haj in the king's place, receiving guests there in recent days.

Nayef is seen as a hawk on a range of issues. Analysts say he appears lukewarm about the social and economic reforms the king has promoted, including attempts to reduce the influence of the hardline clerical establishment in a country that imposes strict Islamic sharia law.

Another key royal, Riyadh governor Prince Salman, in his 70s, will return to the country on Tuesday to resume duties as governor of Riyadh, SPA also said on Sunday.

Salman, who underwent spine surgery in the United States in August and remained long outside the kingdom for recuperation, is a full brother of both Sultan and Nayef and has shown ambition for top jobs, diplomats say.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bottom line is survival, here in the US, depending on the kind of the big C, you have a greater chance of seeing another tomorrow. There are never any guarantees in anything. But, if I get any kind of illness, with what I have learned, I will pick the US to get it in.

Thats if you have insurance, if not then no treatment for you! Thats the problem with the U.S health care system, its based on money not health. When your sick and go to a hospital whats the first question your asked?

The reason you have new treatments and drugs is also based on the doller, who's funding this the government? Nope big money drug companies with more money in mind, not the health of the people.

Cookie

Reaction score
Not so. Lots of free treatments are given, and hospital bills are written off. And, big money gives everyone better drugs and treatments in the beginning, if I was wrong, then why aren't we Americans heading out of our country for tx, like those heading into our country. I know people alot of people who are tx'ed without insurance at the same hospitals whereas, people with either a direct payment insurance, or an employer insurance has. I got to admit I don't know alot about your health plans or health care in BC, so, I can assume you don't know alot about ours here in the US, either. I think this is very safe to say.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I want access to all this free health care other people seem to be getting in the US.

Whenever I go to any provider, the first thing they ask to see is my insurance.

Do I have to turn up about to die or is there a trick I am missing here?

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, I can't wait until, I can move to your country and see what they say when I tell them to pay my medical bills... AND, I want the best drugs, the best scans and the same GREAT medical care I get here, for I am still alive beating all odds. Ian, they got to ask you that question when you go, " do you have medical insurance?" But, if you don't Ian, you will not be turned away, they do not want dead people laying about blocking the traffic.

With your country, I bet I get put back on the fastest boat you guys got, so fast that your waters will look clean, :)

Or, your country will put me on a waiting list, and in that time, waiting at the end of the line, I will not be treated in time.

Last edited:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
if I was wrong, then why aren't we Americans heading out of our country

Because those people are poor and can't afford to relocate! i'm sure there are some circumstances that people get treatments without insurance but thats not what we're talking about is it. Canada's not perfect but I would by far rather be here if I needed treatment. I agree that you have very good hospitals and doctors (Many of them Canadian!) and this is why people go there however do you think these people are poor?

Lots of free treatments are given, and hospital bills are written off

This reminds me of the show Undercover Boss, at the end they bring in the 3-4 people they interacted with during the show and give them money or a promotion and they feel all warm and fuzzy and cry and hug. I always think, what about the other thousands of workers in the company that get nothing but do just as hard work as those people.

Until everyone gets treatment or bills written off the system is flawed and designed for people who can afford to live.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Jerome, I got to be honest with you, with all my health problems, and there are many, I visit many many different kinds of doctors, and not once, was one from your neck of the woods. I am glad you are happy with your health care, as also, so I am with mine. Thank you for writing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks