Good lord, is there some kind of trick to working with PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I perfectly squared my 2" pvc pipe, applied the primer and cement, then stuck on the coupling. It maybe got at best 2/3rds the way to the lip of the coupling. Then I had to freakin cut it off and now I have precious little space to work with when I try again (and I might not even have enough). What did I do wrong? Did I not push the coupling on hard enough? It looked like the coupling kept wanting to pop out. I'm so frustrated I want to break my tv lol. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When swerving PVC fittings on, you have to hold them until it takes. They do want to squirt back out.

I push the fittings on with a slight twist, and then hold them in place until they've learned their position in life.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The socket in a pvc waste fitting is tapered. IT's called an interference fit. The pipe won't go all the way to the bottom (at least easily, if at all) until the cement melts the top layer. Because it is tapered, it will tend to push itself apart - the bigger the pipe, the more dramatic it is. YOu must put the primer and cement on both the pipe and the fitting, as both must melt enough to then fuse together to make room. If the cement is getting old, it may have lost a bunch of its solvent, and not be melting the pipe and fitting. YOu cannot make a quality seal with old cement that is nearly stiff.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What I do is after the cut, feel the cut edge and be sure that there are no burrs. You must go by feel. Sometimes all I need to do is rub my fingers over it to remove any burrs, sometimes a knife rubbed along the edge. A dull cutting tool and sometimes the pipe will have a little lip and this every so slightly makes the pipe wider. Again, most of the time the pipe will cut clean. I also will put a reference mark on the pipe (About 1/2" from the edge) and use that a guide on how far the pipe did go in. Just a few things I do especially when your in a tight area and to re-due it again is time and expense to replace all of the fittings.

snokel

Reaction score
I perfectly squared my 2" pvc pipe, applied the primer and cement, then stuck on the coupling. It maybe got at best 2/3rds the way to the lip of the coupling. Then I had to freakin cut it off and now I have precious little space to work with when I try again (and I might not even have enough). What did I do wrong? Did I not push the coupling on hard enough? It looked like the coupling kept wanting to pop out. I'm so frustrated I want to break my tv lol. Thanks

no trick, it's super easy to work with until you get to the really big pipe sizes. You don't even have to have the ends perfectly square.
After you put the glue on both the fitting and the pipe just push in as far as it will go and hold for about 15 seconds and that should do it. If you just stick it in the socket and let go it will try to push itself out. With all surfaces primed and glued they should go together pretty easily. They should fit together tight prior to applying the glue that's normal.

JerryR

Reaction score

I'm not a pro but this is the way I do it.

Like everyone stated. After applying primer, apply Fresh PVC cement to male and female ends. Push male into female, twist slightly if possible while pushing and bottom out pipe. Hold together tightly for at LEAST 15 seconds or more for the cement to fuse the two pieces. If you release pressure too soon it will push out.

Pipe size, temperature, humidity all affect cure times. In hot Florida I let 2" parts dry for at least 1 hour before pressurizing pipes. Smaller pipes I wait about 30 minutes before pressurizing the joint.

I just did this last weekend on my daughters pool pump, to install a new 2" PVC union at the pump. Since i wasn't in a rush, I let it sit overnight for the glue to dry and I came back next morning to turn the pump on.

Last edited:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it tells you exactually what to do on the glue can

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks