Going from 2 Basin to single kitchen sink; a few questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

terzdesign

Reaction score
Hi All. First post. I'm not much of an experienced plumber but have learned alot from reading some of these threads. Please bear with me.

Anywho, Right now I've got a two basin kitchen sink with the current setup (see pic). The previous owner must have taken the wall drain out and sent it through the floor... I just bought the house so this is what it came with. I bought a single basin apron front sink and so I need to go from two drains to one. The other thing is that I plan to add a disposal and dishwasher... What is the appropriate way to plumb all of that? Must I add some sort of vent since I'm losing the other basin's drain?

The other photo attached is in the basement to show where the drain goes.

sink pipes.JPG
basement-pipes.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well...........You have your work cut out for you.

Nothing I see is right.

The washer needs a standpipe and p-trap.
You have an open pipe now with washer drain stuffed into it. Sewer gas is leaking there.
You have an uncapped drain from the wall for the kitchen sink. Sewer gas is leaking there.
You have a kitchen drain through the floor that runs into an open pipe below. Sewer gas is leaking there.
The old standpipe for the washer that the kitchen is running into has a wye fitting instead of a santee, so that would have siphoned. Sewer gas is leaking there.
The p-trap for the kitchen sink in not vented to prevent siphoning. Sewer gas is leaking there.

You really need to cut out what you have and start over.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

You could run 2" from the basement to the kitchen sink, and use an AAV to vent the p-trap. The AAV should be 4" higher than the p-trap.

Here is a large single sink with an AAV for venting.

sink-single.jpg

And a small one.

seaton_sink_1.jpg

seaton_sink_2.jpg

seaton_sink_3.jpg

The dishwasher can drain into the disposer. Make sure you loop the drain as high as you can before you connect.

Last edited:

terzdesign

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry. Sewer gas is definitely smelling up the basement. I might be calling in a plumber for this job! Great photos - they are very helpful.

terzdesign

Reaction score
I had a plumber over yesterday and he was saying I should just run the new drain straight to the main line, bypassing the grinder pump. Does that sound like a good idea with the pics I posted?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks