Gluing up an undersink connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Bridget

Reaction score
I have this connection under my kitchen sink. It appears that the joint has never been glued up, or at best was glued improperly. Can I just unscrew it from the other side of the p-trap, clean it up, and glue it? I haven't tried taking it apart yet, I wanted to get an informed opinion before I started messing with anything. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can undo the swivel, and if the "glued" parts drops off, you can then glue it.
Or you can pick up tubular fittings for that also. There are several ways to pipe those.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the leak where the yellow arrow points? I would wrap that crack tightly with silicone tape -- partly because I have silicone tape. That tape only sticks to itself, but it conforms well. It is not a professional fix, but I am not a professional.

Attachments

• img_1.jpg
    img_1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 243

Bridget

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Terry, that was pretty much what I was thinking.

Reach4, yes, there's some greasy nasty gunk coming from there, but there's really not a lot of water coming out. Your solution may work, but I think I'll try for something a little more permanent.

hj, I was trying to avoid cutting anything and I don't want to get in over my head. Like I said, I haven't tried to take it apart yet, but if it goes like I think it will, I don't think cutting will even be necessary. I love the idea of a slip nut on either side rather than just on one side like it is now, but I didn't see any parts like that at Home Depot. I can check Lowe's. I did however see that same part at HD, maybe I'll just get a new one and replace it rather than trying to clean that one up.

So the proper glue for this is a two-part process, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks