Global Warming, now Water Shortage

Users who are viewing this thread

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Here in the Northwest, we don't have to go far to see the climate change.
Glaciers are disappearing on a yearly basis. We see this on our weekend hikes.
New species are entering the area. Both on land and by water.
Ski areas are in talks about trading acreage for higher elevations.

Our Everglades are hurting too. But this has as much to do with overpopulation and diverting the natural flow of water to satisfy the masses as it does with Warming screwing with our weather cycles. Not to mention, the idiots in charge of managing the water levels in Lake O need to be replaced.

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
I'll agree with you on that 100%.
I'm sorry to say I'm a Republican under the current administration, I did not vote for the Dufus-In-Charge.

Well, as a Democrat, I'll grant that the choice we were given in 2004 was less than scintillating, from both parties.

And I'll also agree that - given that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - it is reasonable to make reasonable changes in consideration of global warming. This is particularly true if these reasonable changes are chosen so as not to make other things worse. Solar energy? Why not! Windmills? Absolutely! Nuclear energy? Uh, probably (so long as we can figure out what to do with the waste). My Prius? I love it! Efficient boilers? Terrific! Microcogeneration? A win-win!

On the other hand, trading in carbon offsets is moronic. Biofuels threaten our topsoil and the tropical rainforest. Kyoto would gut our economy. Increased used of diesel in urban areas would worsen the problem we have with asthma in inner cities. And the current fuel cell mania begs the question of how we'll produce, transport, and store all this highly explosive hydrogen.

So I believe the widespread belief in global warming - right or wrong - can be a force for good even if it's wrong. But, misapplied, it could net some very bad consequences, which would be particularly tragic if it turned out that the global warming hypothesis were incorrect.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Insightful thread.
Between insinuations of "tobacco industry" type political special interest influencing government research/data and ice core samples from antarctica, I'd have to err on the side of caution.
We could go over and over the facts that could potentially influence the Earths climate by stating fascinating facts about the 100,000 year elipse in it's orbit, the 26,000 year change in its axis, but then -
Did we cover ALL relevant facts?
The Earths magnetic poles change position periodically, which likely has an affect on climate as well (as the magnetosphere filters cosmic radiation), not to mention the Earths field has weakened by 15% in the last 300 years or so.
Then there's the Suns 11 year cycle...there are hundreeds, maybe thousands of unmentioned variables that could also have an affect on the Earths climate.
In other words, I DON'T presume to know enough to make assumptions.
Terry says he see's it when he hikes, large chunks of polar ice are breaking away, there are Alaskan islands that have to be evacuated because the permafrost has melted and they are eroding so fast they may be gone in a decade.
The Amazon is drying, as is Asia - due to changes in weather patterns from Global warming and ocean surface temperatures...this IS happening.
This is real, in question is whether WE have any influence.
Do I know enough to make an assumption either way?
NO.
Does it hurt us as we shift our economy away from foreign fuel to more domestic energy sources?
Lets forget all discussion of global warming and focus on the way domestic refineries have stuck it to us for years, as well as OPEC.
Every time I dump another $80 down the tank, I wonder how much of my money has been filtered to another extremist terror organisations arms purchases. Had I just funded another American citizens beheading?
I say YES to hydrogen fuel cell technology, YES to solar power, nuclear power, heck even hamptster power on a treadwheel if they generate something.
Lately my focus has turned to the insurge of good ole American ingenuity, most of which is quackery ( http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07252/815920-85.stm ), but never fails to give me hope in removing financial dependancy and leverage on societies that have often yet to adopt indoor plumbing as a standard of living.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
That's it. I'm getting rid of the stang :eek:
DSC03358.jpg

For a Smartcar! :confused:
smartcar.jpg

Well, probably not . My next car will be more environmentally friendly, though the mustang is staying in the garage for whatever dinojuice we have left.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Not allowed to have no grass here. Some guy paid big $$ to have artificial grass put in and the city made him take it out. The guy even tried to sue to keep it.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Since we've wandered in and out of topic, I'll make an additional detour.
For the original article (I've edited some of this to save space) : Original Story

If you think that's bad, how about this. You can skim alot of it and look at the highlighted parts below:

Code enforcement gets new muscle; Ordinance lays groundwork for sweeping change including interior inspections for Cape Coral homes and businesses.

Just moments after her parking restrictions failed to pass muster, LePera’s next proposal, which adopted the 2006 edition of the International Property Maintenance Codes as a part of the Cape’s building codes, flew under the radar and into law. The new measure now regulates the maintenance of all buildings, both residential and commercial, inside and out, under Article XII.

“It’s going to go a long way to make the people take care of their properties,†he said in a telephone interview Friday. “It’s actually done in Fort Myers.â€

“It’s overall design to have properties looking better,†said Feichthaler. “We have to do everything we can to encourage taking care of properties better.â€

Elected officials have received a number of complaints about blight taking hold in parts of the Cape and both city beautification and more stringent code enforcement have become major themes in the council campaigns this election season. But more than a few sections of the code appear to go far beyond simply ensuring properties are well maintained.

Provision 104.4 of the 2003 edition of code, which differs very little from the code which was adopted, gives code enforcement officials the right to enter any structure to ensure that its interior is up to code.

“The code official is authorized to enter the structure or premises at reasonable times to inspect subject to constitutional restriction on unreasonable searches and seizures,†it reads. “If entry is refused or not obtained, the code official is authorized to pursue recourse as provided by law.â€

When asked if code enforcement officers should be knocking on doors to private homes to inspect the inside, LePera responded, “If there is a need to, then yes.â€

The Breeze could not obtain a photocopy of the regulations now on the books because, according to the city clerk, it would violate copyright law. Residents are allowed to read the archived copy at city hall, but are otherwise restricted from obtaining the new code unless they purchase the document online for about $28.

In contrast to LePera, Feichthaler said he that believes there are only limited circumstances in which he could fathom a code official trying to go to a judge to gain access to a building. He said that one such scenario would be if a preschool was suspected to have serious fire code violations, and refused to allow an inspection. In that circumstance, the mayor argued, it would be important to have such a law on the books.

The property maintenance code also regulates the aesthetics of building interiors, and not simply the soundness of the structure or its relative safety.

Section 305.3 declares that “all interior surfaces, including windows and doors, shall be maintained in good, clean and sanitary condition. Peeling, chipping, flaking or abraded paint shall be repaired, removed or covered.â€

Section 403.1 states that all habitable rooms must have at least one window and Section 404.4.3 maintains that all bedrooms must have access to a bathroom without passing through another bedroom.

LePera argued that the standards laid out in the maintenance code contribute to the welfare of entire neighborhoods as it would regulate converting garages, the proper amount of bath facilities and the number of people who can safely live inside of a certain building.

“Now that we finally have this we can use it as a tool to improve living conditions and to help enforce codes not only on the outside of properties but the insides,†she said. “We want to protect more than the people in the house. We want to protect the community.â€

Violations of any sort could also go on a citizen’s criminal record as the newly adopted maintenance code makes it a misdemeanor offense to fail to comply after being given a notice. Failure to comply could also result in exponentially worse punishment as 106.4 states that “each day that a violation continuous after due notice has been served shall be deemed a separate offense.â€

The councilwoman said this provision is not an issue.

“We have a lot things that could be charged asmisdemeanors in our code right now, but we don’t,†LePera said.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If any of these code enforcement people come knocking on my door I might be tempted to answer with my 9mm in my hand.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Rugged ..things will get fixed......

Dont worry too much about things ever getting fixed....

Their will be no major technological break throughs
that will solve the problems on this earth .....

Quantum leaps in technology wont happen because it would ruin the status quo... cant tip the apple cart....

Global oil comapnies and World bankers simply do not want to give up their strangle -hold on this world....

Actually large leaps in tech have probably already happenned, but have been shelved away in the vaults of the global oil producers decades ago.....

you either sell us the patent on this new tech you developed for 50 mil and live happily ever after on some beautiful isalnd ....
... or we will bury you and your children in a land fill....

please make your choice.....

So that is basically the status quo or our world....
The ultra rich crush and enslave humanity so that they can make a good profit for themselves...

and they will hold onto the power till the very end....
and delay and debate the facts for another
few dacades ...

I think that the earth itself is gonna fix
our wagons for us soon some day

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
OK. here is the easy way to conserve water.

There are approx 303,325,459 people in the USA right now.

If they all, on average, pee 4 times a day based on a 1.6 GPF they will use

1,941,282,937.6 gallons per day just peeing.

If we flush only every other time we pee or use the great outdoors we can save 970,641,468.8 / GPD (gallons per day) or 354,284,136,112 gallons per year.

(354 billion 284 million 136 thousand 112 hundred)

Last edited:

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
Cass,

Presumably with water in short supply, people will be dehydrated and will pee less. It's a self-limiting problem!
Personally, I think it's lawns that are the bigger offender.

Mark,

Is it purely a coincidence or are you imitating Dennis in "Monte Python and the Holy Grail" on purpose?

Dennis: What I object to is you automatically treatin' me like an inferior.
Arthur: Well, I am king.
Dennis: Oh, king, eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society! If there's ever going to be any progress -

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem is not that we are using a lot of water for household purposes. If every one of those 303 million people used 75 gallons per day (typical usage for consumption and sanitary uses) that would represent about 1% of the rain that falls on the US.

The problem is the cost of resources to collect, treat, and distribute that water, and the use of so much of it for non-essential and low-value uses.

If we stop watering the desert and our lawns for the sake of appearance, and start buying our food from places that it rains instead of where irrigation is required, we will have plenty of water.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Cass,

Presumably with water in short supply, people will be dehydrated and will pee less. It's a self-limiting problem!
Personally, I think it's lawns that are the bigger offender.

Mark,

Is it purely a coincidence or are you imitating Dennis in "Monte Python and the Holy Grail" on purpose?

Dennis: What I object to is you automatically treatin' me like an inferior.
Arthur: Well, I am king.
Dennis: Oh, king, eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society! If there's ever going to be any progress -

This is the new lawn watering police in our area.

montypythonandtheholygrail.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks