Glitch in Delta 17xx Shower control valve install

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Have a R10000 rough-in and a 17xx series trim with volume and temperature (i.e., two knobs).

The assembly that fits in the back of the rough-in body did not come 'assembled'. They don't actually show all of the parts until you go way to the back for repair parts. So, the springs and rubber seals weren't being held in place by the assembly bracket. Since it didn't show them in the diagram, I figured that was just to help you hold it while you install...Well, without them, it leaks. But, after installing them after finding them in the bottom of the box, it still drips. Note, the parts list shows another o-ring...I can't tell if that is the one that seals it into the rough-in body, or yet another one, that is missing.

So, are they missing? I'll call delta in the morning, but am frustrated since it drips and all of the parts that I have are installed.

On another issue, the Oatley water soluable flux is crap. Assembled things twice, with tear out, reclean, flux, reassemble and it leaked. My trusty flux was home, and I bought this. Don't! The old stuff I'd been using worked fine, every time. The solder just didn't want to flow. Bought some Oatley tinned solder, and it went together fine, the third time. Ususally only takes me one...

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Got that, that's what was installed, but it did not come with the black thing with the tab that you remove. So, was missing the seals and springs. The parts shows another o-ring in that well under the spring...nowhere to be seen.

Note, I did put some silicon plumber's grease on things...not a lot. Could this in itself cause a leak? Without it on the o-ring of the cartridge, I was a bear to insert. I did also put a light coating on the seals on top of the springs, and the o-rings of the adapter that fits in the back of the rough-in valve. It felt like it popped in place, and the screw is tighten. Very annoying.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Update...the parts are 10-12 business days out of stock...bummer. I did find a new seat assembly, but when I took the cartridge out to replace it, I found that there is a scratch on the sealing plate of the cartridge! Didn't notice it before, but it's daylight, and the artificial lighting wasn't that great before. If the seat assembly had been intact the first time it was installed, I wouldn't have taken the cartridge out several times, and if it was intact, it might have worked. No idea how it got scratched, or if it came that way. Oh well. so, it'll leak a little until that shows up...don't want to spend $50 for a new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks