Glenwall toilet tank loose

Users who are viewing this thread

NYCremodel

Reaction score
Just installed by a "master" plumbers helper. Seems the tank, even when cranked down pretty tight is very loose and sways back and forward a little even at the lightest touch; like using flush lever. Is this normal? Plumber said its the way it is. I'm afraid if i try to tighten furher i'll crack the tank or toilet. I guess because of the gaket in between the two, there is still a pretty significant gap between the two; like over 1/2". What can I do?

Thanks,
Mark

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gap

Using the correct gasket on a Glenwall tank should produce a gap of 1/8" or less.

glenwall-picture-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NYCremodel

Reaction score
The gasket used was the one that came with the tank. And the tank is the one that is specified as the matching one by American Standard for the Glenwall toilet. Also note ther eis pretty big space between the tank and the sanitary bar...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, assuming you got the right parts, you can crank that down. the key is to do this evenly, a little bit at a time. What do the installation instructions say? What you don't want is the procelain to porcelain tension by overtightening things.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gasket

Unless AS has changed their gasket, it usually compesses to a very high degree. Meaning there is either a very small gap, or none at all. How about a picture, although what we really need to see, namely the gasket, will not show.

NYCremodel

Reaction score
I got down under there, and the nuts weren't much more than hand tight. I wish the plumber had just told me he was too lazy, or didn;t have right wrench, or whatever the real story was... Anyway I tightened it down many turns and now the tank barely moves.

Thanks to all who provided valuable input!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks