Glenwall toilet tank loose

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by NYCremodel, Jan 23, 2009.

1. NYCremodel

NYCremodel New Member

Just installed by a "master" plumbers helper. Seems the tank, even when cranked down pretty tight is very loose and sways back and forward a little even at the lightest touch; like using flush lever. Is this normal? Plumber said its the way it is. I'm afraid if i try to tighten furher i'll crack the tank or toilet. I guess because of the gaket in between the two, there is still a pretty significant gap between the two; like over 1/2". What can I do?

Thanks,
    Mark
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gap

Using the correct gasket on a Glenwall tank should produce a gap of 1/8" or less.
  3. NYCremodel

NYCremodel New Member

The gasket used was the one that came with the tank. And the tank is the one that is specified as the matching one by American Standard for the Glenwall toilet. Also note ther eis pretty big space between the tank and the sanitary bar...
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Generally, assuming you got the right parts, you can crank that down. the key is to do this evenly, a little bit at a time. What do the installation instructions say? What you don't want is the procelain to porcelain tension by overtightening things.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gasket

Unless AS has changed their gasket, it usually compesses to a very high degree. Meaning there is either a very small gap, or none at all. How about a picture, although what we really need to see, namely the gasket, will not show.
  6. NYCremodel

NYCremodel New Member

I got down under there, and the nuts weren't much more than hand tight. I wish the plumber had just told me he was too lazy, or didn;t have right wrench, or whatever the real story was... Anyway I tightened it down many turns and now the tank barely moves.

Thanks to all who provided valuable input!