GFCI Outlet change

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by r_2016, Sep 26, 2009.

1. r_2016

r_2016 New Member

Hi, I have a whirlpool that has limted access to where the plug for the motor is. What I want to do is change the GFCI plug with a normal plug, and make the breaker GFCI. This is so if the circuit trips inadvertently, I can reset at load center. Does anyone know if this is ok? Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Gfci

Yes, but still a nuisance to reset if it happens when you are in the tub. I prefer to mount the GFCI "master", (preferably a "dead front, but otherwise a standard GFCI outlet), where it is accessible in the bathroom, and then feed the pump's outlet off the "load" side.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I've had an air tub and a heated towel bar on GFCI CB's for about 5-years now...never had a nusiance trip. Now, if it did occur, it's not catastrophic, just an annoyance, so my thought is go for it. Now, out of sight means that it doesn't get tested as often as it should, but not a huge problem.
  4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Some of these huge fat GF plugs that are fed by thick cords supposedly cannot be removed.
  5. Ford2001

Ford2001 New Member

from GFCI rec. to GFCI breaker

If the GFCI outlet is inside the tub wooden framing, and you have to remove
    an access panel to get the outlet, I think installing GFCI circuit breaker
    is a good idea. So long if don't mind the expense of one, $30.00 and up.

Then go for it. And don't forget to hire an electrician if your not up
    to the task.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009