GFCI in bathroom - couple questions on what I could be missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

J Blow

Reaction score
I plan on one circuit in my bathroom and I don't think the load will be too great but want to be sure I'm not doing something incorrect. First, do I need to abide by the 6 foot on the wall rule? I'd like to have just a single outlet so thought the bathroom might be different from other areas.

I want to run one 12/2 20 amp GFCI. This will run 3 recessed LED lights, a vent fan, and another LED vanity light fixture with a few lights in it. I also would like to run a single outlet by the vanity (maybe 2, see above). I think I'm fine with the draw but want to be sure I'm not overlooking something.

One other quick one - does it matter if the outlet is wired in before or after the switches...except that I do want it hot and not switchable obviously?

J Blow

Reaction score
Or do I run the outlets off the switch..or does it matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Given the few dollars another receptacle and some wire would cost, I would rather have more than the one at the vanity unless the bath were tiny. One positioned near the water closet for a washlet and another inside the door, 15" above the finished floor level.

J Blow

Reaction score
Adding receptacles wouldn't be a problem. My second graphic isn't showing the receptacles as switched, just wondering where I should feed the receptacles from...or does it matter? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter. IF you use either a GFCI CB, or run all of the power to a GFCI receptacle, then feed it to the other things, everything in the bathroom would be protected by the GFCI circuit. Most, not all, GFCI receptacles have a load (feed through) set of contacts on them to offer protection to things fed by it.

Some switches require a neutral on them. This type of stuff generally is an electronic dimmer, but you might want to install a moisture sensing switch for the vent fan, or an electronic timer, and many of them also need a neutral. So, it really depends on what's open how to best run the wires, and what your plans are. Simple on/off switches do not need a neutral, so it can be easier to just run the switch leg down to the switch, verses running a switched and neutral up to the lights.

Geochurchi

Reaction score
Depending on what code cycle you area is using,I believe the GFCI receptacles must be a dedicated circuit,lights,fan can be on the same circuit,14/2.would be fine for those.
Geo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks