getting rid of hammer

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by v1rtu0s1ty, Aug 24, 2009.

1. v1rtu0s1ty

v1rtu0s1ty DIY Senior Member

I built a homebrew automated sprinkler system with the use orbit 3/4" sprinkler valves and garden hoses. It's just connected to the spigot outside. That means, it's temporary and I will have to remove it in winter. It's working pretty well.

However, eventhough it's temporary, I would like to address an issue that I am experiencing. There are times when it turns off, I will hear a loud hammer on the pipes. About 85%, it happens. Are there any ways to prevent it without putting a hammer arrestor? I'm looking for a temporary solution if there are any.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/s1mpl3k1d/LawnRenovation2009/lawnsprinklervalves20090814.jpg

Thanks!

Neil
  2. upper

upper DIY Senior Member

What type of valves.And how is it piped between the valve and the faucet? Upper
  3. v1rtu0s1ty

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The easiest fix would be to remove the brass hose bib with galvanized coupling,
    Replace the coupling with a threaded tee, and insert a threaded hammer arrestor in one side of the tee.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  5. tomm

tomm New Member

what/how many heads are connected at the end of the hoses? how long are the hoses? what is the pressure?
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  6. v1rtu0s1ty

That's a very cool idea! I'm going to print out my picture and bring it to the store. Thank you so much!!! :D
  7. v1rtu0s1ty

1st valve - one oscillating sprinkler
    2nd valve - one oscillating sprinkler
    3rd valve - 3 impact sprinklers

The garden hoses pipe lengths are somewhere 60ft long per.

I think the length of the garden hose doesn't matter. It's because, the hammer happens before the sprinkler valve.