Getting a standard 5" tub through RO

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
OKAY. This one is going to have me scratching my head for a bit...

5x7 Bathroom.
Tub is running the 5' width.
Cast Iron...

Standard 30" Door.

Removing the old one is cake.
New unit will be 5' as well.

Just short of doing some quasi angle as I bring the tub vertical into the room, any ideas
how to get a 5' tub into a 5x7 room and laying the tub back along the 5' side.

The only option seems that the other 5' side of the wall needs to be demoed to get her in and just
run her up the side

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
With the tub still on end place it as close to the head wall as possible. Then lower the tub to the opposite wall allowing the apron to drop into a stud bay. Then just raise the head of the tub to allow it to drop into place.

John

Chefwong

Reaction score
Ha. In theory that sounds like it....other than then 400+ cast iron weight.
It's been awhile but the ledger board for the tub is just for support if I recall
The tub itself is pitched towards the drain already...

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Cast iron tubs was all we used anything else we call temporary tubs. It can be done very easily by two that know how to handle weight.

John

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You do need open walls on both ends so you can use the stud cavity for some turn radius. I lay it on the apron and try to turn it that way, using the extra length of the open stud cavity.

I use those inexpensive movers blankets to protect tub finish.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT has been decades since I have needed two people to set a cast iron tub. Place on the apron at the proper location and then roll it into place. If you need room to maneuver it into position, slide the "corner" into the space between the studs, rotate it square, then pull if back to the proper location before rolling it into its position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks