Getting a snake through a p-trap?

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by pedietz, Nov 14, 2006.

1. pedietz

pedietz New Member

My pedestal sink is so close to the wall that I can't get a wrench on the clean-out on the bottom of the trap. Any suggestions on getting a snake through the trap? The drain appears to be blocked about 4 - 6' away from the sink, for what that is worth.
  2. Remove the pop-up drain piece, unscrew the lift rod and back it out and run the cable top down.

Don't let the cable come in contact with the porcelain, it will damage.

Otherwise you'll be taking that trap apart somehow, or taking the pedestal sink off the wall to access the drain.
  3. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

I use a small cable in a tapered can with an offset handle and just wind it through the trap. It's stiff enough to get through the trap and It makes 90o turns quite easily and you may not be any more than 5 feet to a stack.
  4. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

This might be a good situation to use one of those drain cleaning bladders.

Attached Files:

5. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

You use it, I sure won't....
  6. pedietz

pedietz New Member

Clarification?

Why no drain cleaning bladder? Does it matter if the drains are cast iron, not PVC?

7. They are no good if there is a tee in that line serviing as a vent before the clog.

I've seen best results with those on floor drains where the piping is collapsed and no cable will pass through.

Some swear by those fast action air movers that drano sell. The commercial alone is enough to gross even me out.:eek:

If you use a drain bladder it can force compression joints to blow apart/cause them to leak after the drain is open.