getting a plumbing license

Users who are viewing this thread

Waterwise

Reaction score
I'm interested in becoming a licensed plumber, mainly to be able to do backflow testing on irrigation systems. What is the quickest way to get a license(Ohio)? Do you have to have 5 years experiance, or can you substitute a degree from a technical school, or just be able to pass the test? Has anyone used a online technical school and was it worth it.
Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to check locally. In a lot of places, some tech school can sub for some of the 4 or 5 yrs experience as an apprentice.

Some places, you can get a license to test backflow without being a licensed plumber.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'm interested in becoming a licensed plumber, mainly to be able to do backflow testing on irrigation systems. What is the quickest way to get a license(Ohio)? Do you have to have 5 years experiance, or can you substitute a degree from a technical school, or just be able to pass the test? Has anyone used a online technical school and was it worth it.
Thanks

Do you think if your doctor, car mechanic or dentist came online and posted what you just did,

you think anyone would consider them reliable? Skilled, competent, capable?

The profession does not need you if you're going to hack your way into the trade doing bull**** online classes or speedburn through the system.

Earn it the right way like some of us rogue plumbers have, through time/effort and education.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
license

Here, backflow testing is a separate license, not a plumbing license. If you have one testing BF devices is ALL that you can do, and since there are only a couple of BIG companies that do most of the work, you usually have to price cut to get customers and make a living.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here we go again. Gotta get there fast and easy. And you wonder why revenues and incomes are dropping ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
license

Maybe they could do it as a video game. Get through the maze and correct as many defects in a given time and you can print out your license.

STL DIY'er

Reaction score
Plumbing License

You should contact your area's plumbing/pipefitters Union.
They'll usually have an apprenticeship program where they will provide training while you work under the tutelage of a Journeyman or Master Plumber.
Some technical schools and community colleges do offer an associates degree in plumbing technology, it is usually effective as 1 year towards your 5 year apprenticeship. Right now most Union Local's are probably like the one in my area of St.Louis and not offering training right now due to lack of employment.
On the bright-side average employment growth is projected. Job opportunities are expected to be very good, especially for workers with welding experience.

Employment of pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters is expected to grow 10 percent between 2006 and 2016, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Demand for plumbers will stem from new construction and building renovation "Source" 'Bureau of Labor and Statistics'

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Those figures were posted before the big slide in the economy, but we can always hope.

tlarson

Reaction score
Dunbar Plumbing and nhmaster:

Chill out. All he did was ask a question about backflow testing. And it's clear from some of the responses that this license can be obtained separately from a regular plumbing license in some jurisdictions. He didn't say that plumbers shouldn't be "reliable, skilled, competent, or capable". A bit too testy for a DIY forum, in my opinion........

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Sounds all very welcoming compared to the responses I am used to getting.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Thanks

Dunbar Plumbing and nhmaster:

Chill out. All he did was ask a question about backflow testing. And it's clear from some of the responses that this license can be obtained separately from a regular plumbing license in some jurisdictions. He didn't say that plumbers shouldn't be "reliable, skilled, competent, or capable". A bit too testy for a DIY forum, in my opinion........

You are misinformed, and didn't read the way he typed it out.

A backflow license is separate from a plumbing license in KY. The KAPHCC along with two backflow/cross-connection programs in my state are trying to make it where you have to be a licensed backflow tester in this state if you're going to be a plumber. Why?

Because you need to know more than just positive flow systems. The wealth of knowledge on any backflow/cross-connection program is not found in the general teachings of being a plumber. I gained my certification 11 years ago and it gives me full understanding of the "what ifs" in this great trade.

Whatever purged your reason to become a one post wonder to defend a guy trying to shortcut his way to becoming certified puts you in the same paralell as this guy...did you register a new username to not be argumentative? I stand/represent for paying your dues, following the rules, putting your time in like all the rest of us professionals have, including the owner of this site.

My opinion stands without retraction and I don't have to defend it. You cannot DIY yourself into being a licensed plumber, let alone a licensed backflow tester...is that what you're alluding to given this is a DIY forum?

Please don't make me laugh and spit my cogniac out. The ****'s expensive and the dog can't walk straight when he licks it up.

tlarson

Reaction score
Wow, I've read his post several times, and am still trying to find where he wants to "shortcut his way to becoming certified ....". All he did was ask the "quickest" way. If that's an apprenticeship, school, on-line, whatever, it sounds like he'll do it. Quickest doesn't mean short cut. Or, did you drag out your training/certification just so it wasn't "quickest"?

Sorry, but your entire last post is a defence of your opinion. That defence is exactly what I was looking for....

"One post wonder" here is just a slob homowner who's done just enough to be dangerous, and likes to learn from pros. That's why I lurk here. No change in username, either. Same loser that I've always been.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious: You can't DIY to a license. I know that, you know that, and that's one of the reasons our supply/waste systems in this country are safe, well designed, and reliable.

Sorry about poking the bear. Just trying to make a minor point....

You win...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You don't become a plumber so you can do BF testing...you become a plumber to be a plumber then add BF testing to what you do if you want to go in that direction...other wize install lawn irrigation systems and higher a plumber to install and test the BF device and go on to the next job...

Waterwise

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, but I just found out that my Dad has a connection with the governor and he said he could get me a spot to take the test. Then I can get my union membership and be set for life:D

Seriously though, I'll contact my local union and see what they say. Not trying to sneak in or be a jake leg, but I just wanted to see if I could get training without quitting my job as a irrigation service/installer to complement and better serve my clients.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Wow, I've read his post several times, and am still trying to find where he wants to "shortcut his way to becoming certified ....". All he did was ask the "quickest" way. If that's an apprenticeship, school, on-line, whatever, it sounds like he'll do it. Quickest doesn't mean short cut. Or, did you drag out your training/certification just so it wasn't "quickest"?

Sorry, but your entire last post is a defence of your opinion. That defence is exactly what I was looking for....

"One post wonder" here is just a slob homowner who's done just enough to be dangerous, and likes to learn from pros. That's why I lurk here. No change in username, either. Same loser that I've always been.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious: You can't DIY to a license. I know that, you know that, and that's one of the reasons our supply/waste systems in this country are safe, well designed, and reliable.

Sorry about poking the bear. Just trying to make a minor point....

You win...

No, I didn't win...

I just make sure that the viewing public understands that there are some of this in this profession that have earned our stripes the legit way and the context of the post came off as someone who wants a shortcut. His last response on here was a good one and defines the reason why he wrote it, and connections through politics sometimes works.

If he becomes a union plumber there's a 5 year apprenticeship waiting for him in Ohio, and that body of knowledge will definitely be the correct steps taken to be a valued tradesmen in this profession I've come to love.

This thread is better since Sam Lock spammed the thread. :D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
union

the key words are "If he becomes a union member". I doubt that any unions are accepting "new" members, unless they are already licensed plumbers but do not belong to the union. In order to strengthen their position, they have to get more members and reduce the nonunion work force. That doesn't happen if they just add new apprentices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks