Gerberit in-wall wall material covering (3/4"???)

Users who are viewing this thread

deeraeya

Reaction score
I'm installing a Gerberit in-wall toilet (111.728.00.1). For those who have done so before me: what wall covering material did you use? Does one have to tile behind the wall-hung toilet?

We're not far off now, but just hit a stumbling block and wondered what others have used as the wall-covering material behind the toilet. I was planning to use drywall, but re-reading the instructions the booklet lists "Gypsum / greenboard", cement backer board etc, but calls for a minimum thickness of the wall covering of 3/4 inch (p. 2).

Since it's almost impossible to get 3/4 inch drywall and (AFAIK) impossible to get 3/4 concrete backer board I'm pretty confused by this. I guess one could interpret this as including tile, but I wasn't planning to tile that part of the bathroom (and saying "Gypsum / Green board" as an acceptable material doesn't imply tiled to me, especially since they list "Ceramic tile surface" in the same list).

Confused I called Gerberit Tech support where they managed to confuse me even more. The advisor said that they didn't recommend drywall since the force pushing back on the toilet was too high ... so he suggested concrete backer board. I pointed out that they don't make that in 3/4 inch ... and he basically shrugged. eventually he suggested using backboard just behind the toilet .... which makes no sense as you have to fix it to the studs on either side. I was pretty disappointed with that call.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. For those who've installed wall-hung toilets, have you seen any issues with simply using drywall? Signs of crushing, etc? Do you use 1/2 inch drywall or 5/8 or even try to source 3/4 drywall?

FWIW, the TOTO in-wall frame instructions call for 1/2 drywall (and since it's exactly the same shape as the Gerberit one, it would be very strange if there was something special about the Gerberit frame that required 3/4 or backboard etc).

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I can't answer your question about what is typical, but I can tell you that Permabase comes in 3/4".

If you're buying from Lowe's or Home Depot, you might find it beneficial to reach out to a real lumberyard....

deeraeya

Reaction score
Thanks

Appreciate the pointer, thanks.

Still hoping to hear from someone that has finished out one of these in-wall toilets, but I guess the main job around here is, you know, the plumbing :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks