Gerber pressure flush questions

Users who are viewing this thread

KRS121006

Reaction score
Hey all,

I went to a wholesale building supply place today and they are selling Gerber pressure flushing tanks, brand new still in the box. However, they do not have any bowls to go with them. I found at new and used home improvement store a Gerber toilet with complete tank and bowl. The tank was the exact same shape as the pressure flushing tank. My question is can I place a pressure flushing tank on a Gerber bowl, or do I need a special pressure flushing bowl as well. The reason I ask is the pressure flushing tank was selling for $15!! and I can get the other toilet for $50. Both are brand new and I just figured I would swap tanks out and install it. However, if I need a bowl for this tank then I'm back to square one. Any thoughts? Any thoughts on this particular two-piece Gerber pressure flush toilet? I believe the tank is from a Gerber Ultra Flush toilet as it has the same shape.

Thanks!
KRS

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't have a pressure assisted toilet in my home...the parts are more expensive to fix or replace, they are noisy, they tend to tear the toilet paper and waste into bits and may leave bits in the bowl, and some of them splash when you flush. The parts might work together, they might not. Someone may know, but you may just want to call Gerber.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pressure assisted toilets were an attempt by certain manufactures to make a poorly designed toilet work as a low flow. They may do this when working right, but they do have their problems as previously noted. A well engineered toilet design does not need pressure assisted to work well. The world's largest manufacturer of toilets, Toto, does not make even one pressure assist toilet. I can understand the temptation to grab what seems to be a real bargain, but if it is a poor preforming toilet, is it something you will want to live with for the next 20 or 30 years?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No.

You can't mix and match two different methods of flushing.

The gerber gravity uses a siphon to flush with.
The gerber pressure assist uses washdown.
The trapways are designed entirely differently.
I was at the Flushmate factory last month, and the engineers said this was a big no no.
They then showed us the cutaways of the trapway and how they were supposed to work.
The flush curve between gravity and pressure is almost opposite.

If you want to buy the tank, go ahead. But do buy the pressure bowl for it.
If it's the EcoFlush dual flush, that would be DF-28-380, don't touch it.
The WDI Ecoflush DF-28-380 is a piece of junk. Made in China, out two years and nobody knows how to keep them working.
Gerber Dual Flush and the WDI EcoFlush tank

If it is the 28-380 1.6 or 1.1 gallon flush, that would be fine.
Those would be the American made Flushmate tanks, on the market for twenty years and counting.
They work well.

Last edited:

KRS121006

Reaction score
Any ideas of the cost for a bowl? Anything else I might need to install the toilet other than the usual items like a wax ring etc...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is NO ONE anywhere on the internet who has the depth of knowledge about toilets as our fearless leader Terry! You just can't get this kind of information anywhere else!

Opinions vary. Gary doesn't like pressure assist. I have had one in the house since 1992, and wouldn't have anything else.
In those 18 years, I have replaced the cartridge 3 times and the supply group once. All that certainly did cost me more than what several flappers and a couple of fluidmaster seals would have cost. But the flush....priceless! My plunger is retired. Haven't needed it once. I sometimes double flush, if the wife stocks up on Charmin. Good old Scott or Costco paper works all the time!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks