Gerber Maurice Tissue Flushing problems

Users who are viewing this thread

rooo

Reaction score
I have recently purchased 2 Gerber Maurice toilets with Sloan valves installed. I have one toilet installed and it consititenly has toilet paper shredding which returns to the bowl after a flush. The water pressure is in the 50lb plus range and the plumbing is new.
I am begining to think it is the Gerber outlet design which is flawed?
Does anyone have any ideas before I return both toilets??

regards Rooo

http://gerberonline.com/fileLib/Toilet Maurice 21-012 IS.pdf

Attachments

• 21-012_Revised.jpg
    21-012_Revised.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 977
Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Meet one of the consequences of a pressure assisted toilet design.

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
Many people associate shredding and rollback as a problem with the pressure-assist system when it's always caused by preexisting plumbing issues or a misdirected jet outlet. If there's any obstruction in the trap, drain-line, or venting, a rollback on some level is inevitable. If the jet outlet is misdirected, shredding is very likely to occur on a regular basis.

The manufacturing process involved in injection molded plastic is far more precise and consistent than that of vitreous china so your belief that the bowl is at fault is an accurate diagnosis.

If only one is performing poorly why would you want to pull both? I suggest calling Gerber Customer Care to explain the issue and ask for assistance or direction. You could also contact the seller who may be able to exchange it without Gerber's direct involvement.

Either way, I'm sure Gerber and their distributor would rather keep your business and improve your confidence of their high-end fixture than leave you with a sour taste.

Good luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The velocity of a gravity flush toilet rarely shreads things...a pressure assisted one is much more likely. Quality control makes a difference, but design affects the outcome as well.

rooo

Reaction score
Gerber Toilet Rollback Issue

i PULLED THE TOILET OFF JUST TO MAKE SURE THERE WERE NO OBSTRUCTIONS AND NOTICED THE INTERNAL DRAIN WAY HAS NOT BEEN PORCELIAN COATED AS THE BROCHURE STATES. Also there is a T arrangmeent which could add to turbulance (hence paper shredding and roll back). I have made numerous calls to both Gerber and Sloan but no resolve yet.

I am awaiting a response currently from Gerber on the above mentioned.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it makes you feel any better,
I always tell customers that the American Standard Glenwall shreds paper.
They don't plug, but they do shred.
I still recommend it as a wall hung, there aren't any other better choices for wall hung right now.

This is why I try to actually use products before I write about them.
You would be surprised at how much advice is being handed out without any knowledge whatsoever.

I just read the latest bathroom article from April 2008 Consumers Digest, where they state that American Standard, Kohler and TOTO are using pressure assist.
TOTO has never used pressure assist, Kohler and A/S have a few models that do, however the recommended models the CD promotes are all gravity toilets.
I wonder if the writer of the article has seen the toilets he recommended.

Last edited:

rooo

Reaction score
Maurice Gerber tissue shredding "Follow up"

Well we have the number 2 toilet installed for about a month and it shreds and spits back just about everything thats put in it. ):
Will be calling Gerber next week, will update at that time.

ROOO

rooo

Reaction score
thanks Terry

Well I returned the Gerbers to the retailer, who were very understanding to our dilema.
Happy to say that we replaced them both with the TOTO ultramax and couldnt be happier. :)

I never thought I would be posting in A toilet blog but alas I am very gratefull to this websites recomendations and assitance.

Cheers and best regards
Rooo and family

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I just read the latest bathroom article from April 2008 Consumers Digest, where they state that American Standard, Kohler and TOTO are using pressure assist.
TOTO has never used pressure assist, Kohler and A/S have a few models that do, however the recommended models the CD promotes are all gravity toilets.
I wonder if the writer of the article has seen the toilets he recommended.

Terry I'm surprised they have not offered you a gig as a consultant on their toilet testing after all these exchanges you have had with them! Maybe its your bias towards toilets that really do work!LOL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The exchanges I have had are with Consumers Report.
Their lawyers had been suggesting that plumbers shouldn't write about plumbing.
That their writers should write for us.
After all, what do plumbers know.

Last Fall I was contacted by Consumers Digest the competing consumer magazine about writing an article for them, I was on the short list of people they were looking at.

I didn't get the writing gig, but did pick up the magazine when it came out to see what kind of article they had been looking for.
So they guy they picked to write it couldn't be bothered to even lift the tank lids off to see what was in the tanks. Dooh!
One of his picks was a Champion. Not a favorite of plumbers.
One more was the Toto Carlyle, which is a nice toilet, it's the same one that Consumers Report lists.
I drop it lower on my list, because the water supply needs to be farther over than most. Not a really big deal, but it can be more work if the plumber roughed in the supply at 6"
Something like an Ultramax with CEFIONTECT would have been nice.
They drop in very easily and have good performance.
Another choice might have been the Soiree or Guinevere on the upper end of the scale.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks