• Avalanche without defect

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Avalanche with defect

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

captncroix

Reaction score
I had two sterling brand gravity commodes that were installed by my homebuilder in 1997. The 1.6 gallons per flush was just not enough to flush even the smallest amount of poo with a couple of wraps of paper. We found ourselves double flushing and most often plunging. The sterling is the worst flushing 1.6 toilet out there.

I read Terry's forum and had decided to go and purchase two new toto drake (gravity) toilets. I went to the local upscale toto distributor and discussed toilets with the sales lady and the commercial account (counter reps) in the rear of the store. I found out that the TOTO drake is wonderful but the Gerber Avalanche (gravity) performs just as well. They assured me that they were telling the truth. The avalanche was around $250 with seat and toto drakes were $300 each with seat.

I went ahead and purchased two of the Gerber Avalanche gravity comfort height/ada elongated toilets and took them home. They were easy to assemble (20 minutes) for a novice and another 30 minutes to remove the old and install the new avalanche toilets. The only problem I had was I had to shim (pennies) around the front half of the commodes to ensure levelness and to make them stop rocking around. I then caulked with white and let dry.

Now, for a week my family of 6 have been using them and have not even had to double flush. Gerber avalanche works. The flushing is pretty quiet and the tank refills quickly. I give it two cheeks of approval.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They assured me that they were telling the truth.
Gerber Avalanche as good as a Toto drake!
as reported by captncroix

Pretty good, so I take it that you have tried both toilets?

No..............and you still make that statement?

Good reporting then.
You tried the Avalanche and it was better than your old toilet, so it must be the best. Good logic.

Other toilets that are as good as the Drake or better, according to manufactures as they drop them off for trial have been

American Standard Champion

Kohler Cimarron

Eljer Titan

Eljer Aquasaver

Toto Drake

When these were dropped off, I'm sure they thought they were the best.
I then installed them, and tried them out in my home.
It gives me a different perspective that way.

Before I make a blanket statement, I install a toilet and use it.
Then I know what is hype and what is not.

Since Gerber was bought out in the last few years, I've noticed a lot of changes in quality control.
Having people post that they have been returning defective parts does not surprise me.
After all, I sell Gerber.

www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What I get a kick out of is how they all say, "It is as good as a Toto Drake" or, "Its better than a Toto Drake."

Does that mean the Toto Drake is the industry benchmark? Go to a Toto Dealer and say, "I want a Toto Drake." You are not going to a Toto Dealer if they offer you another brand that somehow compares to a Toto Drake. You're at a wannbe Toto dealer!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is one brand and model we could really use some objective reviews on...
Vs. The one hit new poster dump and run...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gerber
In 2003, Globe Union acquired an 85% stake in Gerber, a 100-year-old plumbing brand in
the US. Gerber targets mainly the middle-end wholesale channel. In 2003, Globe Union took over
Gerber as it was suffering from financial distresses. Restructuring efforts lasted for two years, as
Globe Union closed down Gerber’s US factories and relocated production to China. In 2006, Gerber

accounted for 25% of group sales. Losses narrowed from NT$207m in 2004 to only NT$16m in 2006.
We expect it to reach breakeven in 2007 as Gerber introduces more high-margin faucet products to

offset the lower-margin ceramic products. In addition, given the strong reputation and brand name of
Gerber, marketing expense is moderate. As of the end of 2006, Gerber had around 1,400 customers.
The strategy is to start promoting the Gerber brand to European or Asian markets through Globe
Union™s other brands™ distribution channels. Because Gerber is more exposed to the new US housing
construction market, we see challenges to growth in 2007. We are forecasting 10% growth forGerber in 2007, partly due to the expected increase in export sales.Source: Macquarie Research, April 2007

In June 2008, Gerber raised it's prices 20%

Last edited:

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Gerber Avalanche!

Per Redwood's request I will divulge my limited experience with the Gerber Avalanche Toilet. You gotta love the name!

I will preface this by stating I am not a plumber but pretty damn handy! I am converting a single family home to duplex.
My requirements were simple ....something that works and works well and wont break the bank.

I would have purchased a Tota but it seemed the 10inch ruffs that I require were too pricey ($350). My neighbor a plumber had always mentioned Gerber.

I started with a search on this site for 10inch toilets. Not a lot out there.
So I went to HD where they could order me a Cadet 3 10inch at $210.
I then went to a plumbing supply house and asked what it would cost for a Gerber Avalanche ...to my sha-grin it $215! Sweet.
I pick it up and stored it in my garage ....for 2 months...laying tile, grouting, sealing and finally installing the flange. Finally ready so
I open the box and there is a 1-inch area of glaze missing in the bowl! (sounds like a Cadet3 trick)!
Take it back to the supply house ..no questions asked and grab another bowl.
On these toilets it is only the tank that is "10-inch".
Installation:
Toilet is well packaged. All hardware is accounted for. Directions are clear.
Took me 35 minutes start to finish. Tested the bowl for rocking....solid.
Placed single wax ring on flange, set bowl down (squish) and tightnened bolts.
Placed tank down on bowl, tightened, hooked fill line up. Adjusted water level. Everything went smoothly but that can be attributed to this being a brand new bathroom.
Unfortuantely as this is a duplex I will not have a lot of QUALITY :eek: opportunities to test this bad boy but depending on how often my phone rings (from the tenants) will tell me if I made the right choice.!

-Shawn

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I open the box and there is a 1-inch area of glaze missing in the bowl! (sounds like a Cadet3 trick)!
Take it back to the supply house ..no questions asked and grab another bowl.

Unfortunately as this is a duplex I will not have a lot of QUALITY :eek: opportunities to test this bad boy but depending on how often my phone rings (from the tenants) will tell me if I made the right choice.!

A nice report about finding a defect and making a trip back to the supplier for a new bowl.
I guess any information on how it works in the real world will have to come after the tenants have used it.
I like to "use" a product, and then report on it.

So of the two boxes you opened up, there was one defect.
So what is that? 50% defects on Gerber Avalanche?
I think Redwood is having 0% defects on Toto and I'm at about 1%

Last edited:

ohheck

Reaction score
My experience with the Avalanche

I will relay my experience with the Gerber Avalanche for your info. Last Friday, I purchased the Gerber Avalanche RF at my local plumbing supply house. Installation was a breeze....much simpler/quicker than any I have experienced before. However, about 1 1/2 hours after installation, I found a water puddle on the floor. Upon inspecting, I found that the space between the bottom of the tank and the top of the stool was wet. The tank bolts were completely dry, but the thick mounting gasket was wet. I removed the tank and placed it on a level platform over my kitchen sink so I could check for the leak location. I filled the tank to the water level mark and waited. It wasn't long before water started to weep from the plastic nut/ring that secures the flush valve to the tank. I emptied the tank, removed the flush valve and checked the inner soft gasket/seal for damage and also the flush valve lower end for damage. None found. I reassembled the valve to the tank, double checked the retaining nut for tightness and refilled the tank. Again, after a few minutes, the weeping reappeared. I again emptied the tank and removed the flush valve. I took a piece of emery cloth and sanded the area around the tank outlet opening on the inside of the tank. I reassembled and refilled only to see the water continue to weep as before. This morning, I returned the tank assembly to the plumbing supply house and swapped it out for a new one. I returned home, reinstalled the new tank and filled it. It is now 9 hours later and still no leak. I do believe the problem is solved. As far as I'm concerned, there was some sort of flaw in either the tank or the valve. As for the operation of the complete unit, excellent flush and cleaning action and it is quieter than the 8 year old Briggs water saver that I have in the main bathroom. If all continues to go well with this Gerber, I will replace the Briggs with another Avalanche. The Briggs unit clogs easily and generally requires me to hold down the handle for a longer flush as the normal flush doesn't get it done. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks OhHeck!
Each posting builds a little more knowledge on this toilet. Keep us posted with your long term results and hopefully the 2nd one goes better.

ohheck

Reaction score
Update

A brief update on my Avalanche post of 9/2. I checked daily to see whether the leak had returned. As of 9/9, everything was ok. On that day, I left town for a short trip....returned on 9/13. I checked the toilet and found a puddle of water on the floor. It's exactly the same issue that I had experienced earlier. The tank retaining bolts are dry, but the area around the flush valve retaining nut/washer is wet. That water then drips to the floor and puddles. I'm back to square one!! This one is really stumping me. Any ideas? :confused:

ohheck

Reaction score
I believe so. Gerber supplies two rubber spacers that you are instructed to place on the back ridges (the bowl has a front ridge and two rear side by side ridges) of the toilet bowl, to protect the china. When the tank is tightened down to where it doesn't rock back and forth, the rear of the tank is resting on these rubber spacers. However, there is still about a 1/8 inch gap between the front of the tank and the front toilet bowl ridge. Tightening the tank further will make it contact this front ridge, however it also slightly tilts the tank forward. Do you think I should try to tighten it down further??? I don't want to crack the tank.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You might try pushing down on the top of the tank with your arm and see if there is anymore tightening room... It's getting dicey though....

I dunno... Crack it and they win!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a complaint about my Toto! I bought it from Terry last September, brought it home, and installed it in about 20 minutes. Darn thing hasn't leaked or clogged yet! How come you guys that get the "just-as-good-as-a-Toto have all the fun. I'm tired of this use it, flush it, and forget it Toto.:p

Walt

Reaction score
Another Avalanche Report...

Ok, my experience is limited... but I can report on a standard height elongated Gerber Avalanche after only a week of use.
It's a very good toilet: no discernable flaws in mine, no complaints. Price comparable to the Drake ($250 at a local plumbing supply) and it does flush very well, but it is no Toto Drake.
Mind you my experience with the Drake is also limited; several days in a Honolulu hotel, but I found the Drake's flush to be quieter and smoother. The water just moves through it more smoothly; maybe the design of the trapway is just more sophisticated. I'm trying not to get too flowery with the description...
Anyway... in my amature estimation I would say that the Gerber flushes about as efficiently as the Toto: it clears the bowl very well. The difference is in the details; there is more of a rush when the flapper opens and a bigger gulp at the end.
My first choice would have been a Drake, but I have 10" roughins and I'm not willing to shell out for a Unifit Toto, so I needed another option.
I can recommend the Gerber based on my limited experience, but all things being equal (ie- 12" roughin) I would go for a Drake.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You want a true test on toilets...I've been eating government cheese for 3 weeks straight. I can tell you what will flush and what won't.

There will be streaking, but that clorox teflon bowl cleaner and my deposits will prove the Toto Drake can swallow anything I can possibly grunt out with possibly blowing out blood vessels in my eyeballs.

Government cheese tastes oh so good. :D

Neotonic

Reaction score
I have a complaint about my Toto! I bought it from Terry last September, brought it home, and installed it in about 20 minutes. Darn thing hasn't leaked or clogged yet! How come you guys that get the "just-as-good-as-a-Toto have all the fun. I'm tired of this use it, flush it, and forget it Toto.:p

Wait...Compliment or Complaint? lol

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Toto vs Gerber

I am back to report....

I installed a Gerber Avalanche round front toilet a couple months ago in a rental property. Unfortunately I have not gotten around to renting it so I have had plenty of opportunity to test it.
I will start with saying I am a healthy 210lbs 6'2 male. The Avalanche flush is strong and does not require a second go around. It is a little bit noisier then my last toilet and the water jet seems to be more agressive. I have had no splashing on the seat or the floor.
So in conclusion the Gerber Avalanche is an excellent choice for a toilet.
Yes I would absolutely buy another and recommend one! I have no experience with Toto.

Terry, do you think it misleading that you claim Geber defects to be around 55% and Toto around 0-1%? Until your survey field is even 100 Gerbers to 100 Totos....etc, I do not think your claim is accurate.

What if I bought a single Toto toilet and it was defective? Would it be fair of me to claim Toto as 100% defective?

-Shawn

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks