Geothermal Hot Water Generator to single tank plumbing HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Canada

Reaction score
I own a Climate Master Geothermal unit (2005 Model) GSV 060 with a HWG (hot water generator). Bought the house last month. My last month hydro was 3528 kW/h. At $0.21 KW/h my hydro bill was $740.00 (including tax in Ontario Canada.

The HWG is plumbed to the hot water tank although I believe the contractor installed the unit improperly. I have a photo I would like to attach showing the orange lines (In & Out from the HWG) plumbed to the bottom of the 80 gallon HWT. Why would junction (four way including the drain) be plumbed this way. Obviously the HWT is hotter that in output from the HWG.. so wouldn't that "draw"hot water from the tank making the HWT continuously create more hot water? I apologize I'm confused with HWG systems but it just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm still trying to make every attempt to reduce my hydro consumption.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• hotwatertank2.jpg
    hotwatertank2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 345

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not enough information to understand what you have.

A geothermal heat pump can end up more efficient than using electric resistance heating, but probably won't be more efficient than a natural gas system, depending on your energy costs. $0.21/Kw is fairly expensive power. Not sure what natural gas is where you live, but that amount of electricity equals about 12.0M BTU. Over a month of say 30days*24 hours that's about 16.7K BTU/hour. Course, that's also supporting the other electrical loads in the house, which could average about 12Kw/day, or maybe 500w/hour. That would bring the energy required for just heat down some.

A well operating geothermal system can provide in the order of 3W of heat for 1W input. Geothermal should not be severely impacted anywhere near what an air-sourced heat pump would be with ambient temperatures as the ground temp, if installed deep enough and with enough volume, should not care much about ambient.

If you assume about a 3:1 heat output from the geothermal heat pump, and discount any other electrical usage in the home, you're averaging about 50K BTU/hour, which once you account for other electrical uses in the home isn't all that much depending on where you live in Canada and the size of the house.

Note, in my original post, I had misplaced a decimal point (10x off), and this correction reflects my new, rough assessment...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks