Genova 3" thin wall DWV sch 40...?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by joelmaurice, Jul 10, 2010.

1. joelmaurice

joelmaurice New Member

Is this product still made? It measures 3 1/4" OD. Yellowish in color. I am adding a toilet and I need to tie into this. If they make it still where can I get it?
    The printing - " 3" Genova M-MK II PVC 1120 sch. 40 DWV ASTM D2665 ASTN E84 Flame spread rating 10"
    Thanks for your help. Joel
  2. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Nope. but you can use a Mission band or fernco coupling and adapt to standard PVC
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I am a little confused. This pub shows the Genova products and ASTM listing. http://www.nsf.org/Certified/Plumbing/Listings.asp?=&PlantState=IN

PVC 1120 refers to the type of resin. "schedule 40" spells out the dimensional specs. but 3 1/4" OD is smaller than "regular" sched. 40. . . There will be some way to join up. I suppose the yellow color identified it as some kind of DWV, possibly an SDR spec. Not sure why it is labeled as sched. 40.

From the Genova website: http://www.genovaproducts.com/docs/PlumbingCatalogJan2010.pdf
    see page 48. It says, as I would expect, that their ASTMD2665 sch. 40 DWV is the same size as sch. 40 IPS. Are you SURE that your pipe is not really 3.5" OD??
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. nhmaster3015

Jimbo, years back Genova made 3" sch 40 that was not standard OD. At the time you could get it at hardware stores and home centers. IIRC the OD was 3.25 or just slightly smaller than standard 3" It used to be possible to get an adapter but I have not seen one in years. The other issue with the stuff is that though it says sch40, it's very brittle. It's not SDR and the yellowish color is pigment.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It may be the same size a S&D PVC, which maintains the 3" i.d., but since it has a thinner wall it results in a smaller o.d. If so there are bushings which will adapt it to standard Sch 40 fittings. Normally it is not used inside a building, and the only fittings are push on gasketed ones.
  6. nhmaster3015

HJ, there is a crap load of that installed around here. The local Grossmans sold it in the 70's before they wne belly up. I have never found anything that will adapt except a mission band or a fernco.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Interesting that they can call it sch. 40
  8. nhmaster3015

Yes it is and may be why you don't see it anymore. I'll tell you what though, when you are a 2nd year apprentice and run into the stuff for the first time it sure does get you to doing some head scratching. I believe ( and I wish I had a piece so I could check it ) that the ID is smaller and the wall thickness is sch 40 but It's been awhile. Anyone who's got a piece of this lying around please measure the ID, OD and the wall thickness and post it. I'm curious.
  9. hj

Drainage piping should ALWAYS maintain the proper i.d. to elimitate "offsets" in the flow. Changing the wall thickness then changes the o.d. which keeps if from matching sch. 40 fittings. My 4" S&D/sch 40 bushing has an i.d. of 4 1/4" and since the wall thickness would be the same, I would expect the 3" one to be 3 1/4" i.d. and thus a way of converting that pipe to a sch. 40 fitting/system.
  10. nhmaster3015

Yea but if IIRC the OD of the Genova is 3.25 and it says sch40 on the pipe so wouldn't the ID have to be reduced also?
  11. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

But he said he had an OD of 3 1/4" . That won't leave much wall!!!!!!
  12. nhmaster3015

Well, I know for a fact that the guy that owns the camp next to mine has Genova pipe in it so next time I see him I'm taking some measurements cause now I curious.
  13. hj

But they also use the number 1120 which implies a thin wall. If the i.d. was reduced, and that would only be known by cutting a section out and measuring it, then it would NOT be a true 3" pipe.
  14. nhmaster3015

No, it's not a true 3" pipe. You needed special sized fittings also. It's very strange stuff