Generator won't run well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

mtjag

Reaction score
I am totally off grid. I have a Sentry Pro 11kw back up generator and a Grunfos SQ-410 well pump at about 450' wired through a PumpSaver 233p. This setup has been in place for three years. Last month, I noticed when my generator is running, my well pump shuts off before the pressure switch is activated. When I bypass the generator, the well pump runs the complete cycle and pumps up to pressure without an issue off of my inverter/batteries. I had my generator serviced last week and thought that might fix the problem, and it did for a couple of days, but it is back to shutting off the well pump before the cycle is complete. The generator tech checked the voltage and frequency and found it was a little under voltage and adjusted the throttle so the generator would meet the voltage and frequency requirements.
A couple of notes:
1) I have an Outback Inverter which is a pure sine wave inverter. However, when the generator is running, the voltage from the generator passes through or by the inverter to household demands. In other words, the frequency of the generator is not altered by the inverter. Again, the well pump runs fine off of the inverter/batteries direct.
2) I've read up on the Grunfos SQ-410 well pump and it says under Overload/Underload protection,
"The pump will cut out if the voltage falls below 150 V or rises above 315 V. The motor is automatically cut in again when the voltage again falls within the permissible voltage range. Therefore no extra protection relay is needed. " Also, this pump has all the other protections the PumpSaver 233p has built-in.
So, my questions have to do with what seems to be a redundancy in protection. Both the Grunfos SQ-410 and the PumpSaver 233p has the same protections and could that be the problem of why the well pump won't run off of the generator? Could I adjust the sensitivity of the PumpSaver233p down to zero and perhaps solve my problem? When the well pump stops pumping the CAL light on the PumpSaver 233p turns on red.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the pumpsavers, but I think your last sentence states the problem. The pumpsaver is shutting your pump off. It needs to be adjusted.

mtjag

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the pumpsavers, but I think your last sentence states the problem. The pumpsaver is shutting your pump off. It needs to be adjusted.
Thanks for that speedy reply and I have an update: Just a few minutes ago, I ran the well pump off of the generator without a problem (the well pump stopped when the pressure switch engaged as it should). The difference between yesterday’s failure and today’s success is that yesterday, we had other loads going at the same time such as the washing machine, dryer (propane), and several lights. Today, the only major load was the well pump. Would that indicate the generator is loosing frequency with multiple loads and charging the batteries and perhaps is causing the PumpSaver to cut power? Currently, I have the PumpSaver sensitivity dial to about 1/3 so I can only reduce it by a 1/3 to zero. But, if I do that, will that just bypass the PumpSaver and cause my Grundfos SQ-410 to then cut power if it senses a low voltage or frequency problem? More importantly, will this damage my Grundfos?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Do you have a way to measure the output frequency of your generator ?

I would do that before something smokes.

How are you transferring power ?

Good Luck.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Multiple loads means the pump was drawing more amperage. With the sensitivity turned down, the pumpsaver is probably shutting off because of high amperage. There is a fine line between setting the sensitivity low enough for the pump to be shut off if it runs out of water and not setting it so low that it shuts the pump off when using multiple or heavy loads. I would just remove the pumpsaver altogether.

mtjag

Reaction score
Do you have a way to measure the output frequency of your generator ?

I would do that before something smokes.

How are you transferring power ?

Good Luck.
Yes, when the generator tech came out, he repeatedly checked the output frequency and adjusted the throttle to ensure the output was in the proper range when the well pump ran. However, we didn't check it with more loads beyond the well pump and we have a transfer switch for power switch.

mtjag

Reaction score
Multiple loads means the pump was drawing more amperage. With the sensitivity turned down, the pumpsaver is probably shutting off because of high amperage. There is a fine line between setting the sensitivity low enough for the pump to be shut off if it runs out of water and not setting it so low that it shuts the pump off when using multiple or heavy loads. I would just remove the pumpsaver altogether.

Glad you mentioned that. I just spoke again with the generator service technician and he essentially said to by pass the PumpSaver by turning the sensitivity to zero setting...all the way to the left. Do you think that would be sufficient for the time being? In other words, not removing the PumpSaver, but just turning the sensitivity down to zero so that it relies solely on the protection of the Grundfos?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does your Symcom PumpSaver give you a code to tell you what the cause of the shutdown was?

Also, the Grundfos SQ is different from the common pump. You might as Symcom if the unit will work well with an SQ.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think turning the sensitivity down will bypass the pumpsaver. I think it will reduce the underload and overload settings at the same time. This means it may work for a small load, but will trip out on large loads. It has been years since I messed with a symcom. Maybe someone else knows if the sensitivity also adjust the overload?

mtjag

Reaction score
Does your Symcom PumpSaver give you a code to tell you what the cause of the shutdown was?

Also, the Grundfos SQ is different from the common pump. You might as Symcom if the unit will work well with an SQ.
I don't have a way to read the code on the PumpSaver and I don't understand your statement about the SQ, "You might as Symcom if the unit will work well with an SQ."

mtjag

Reaction score
I don't think turning the sensitivity down will bypass the pumpsaver. I think it will reduce the underload and overload settings at the same time. This means it may work for a small load, but will trip out on large loads. It has been years since I messed with a symcom. Maybe someone else knows if the sensitivity also adjust the overload?
Haven't considered the issue with the overload, but according to the manual the sensitivity adjustment works for all issues, including dry well, impeller blockage, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks