Generator transfer switch for house

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That is if you are connecting to the main.

The Generator needs to be grounded, and there should be no need to be switching the Neutral, Just to run your furnace.

Did I miss something ?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is if you are connecting to the main.

The Generator needs to be grounded, and there should be no need to be switching the Neutral, Just to run your furnace.

Did I miss something ?
Don, this sounds like last year's discussion now all over again, or maybe it way in 2012, lol.

mikesignal

Reaction score
I was referring to my original question about the correct manual transfer panel. In doing research after I posted, I found the thread about switching the neutral .

obviously if I go with the furnace transfer switch there is no need to switch the neutral. :)

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I was referring to my original question about the correct manual transfer panel. In doing research after I posted, I found the thread about switching the neutral .

obviously if I go with the furnace transfer switch there is no need to switch the neutral. :)

All conductors need to be switched, If you use the main disconnect.

Sounds like you know the rules, And what is needed.

Extension cords can be your friend if properly rated, For use with a portable generator.

mikesignal

Reaction score
All conductors need to be switched, If you use the main disconnect.

Sounds like you know the rules, And what is needed.

Extension cords can be your friend if properly rated, For use with a portable generator.

thanks again for the input

I just don't understand why lockouts and transfer panels are sold and used that don't meet code standards. I like to do things right.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
thanks again for the input

I just don't understand why lockouts and transfer panels are sold and used that don't meet code standards. I like to do things right.

I think the reason that you can buy them, is because this is a free country, for the most part. If you do not "Own your home" then you need to meet code, Or have your own insurance if you install none compliance electrical equipment.

And they can be used in places that build them. I.E. Not in the U.S.A. For the most part they are safe to use, If installed properly.

Just a guess on my part.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; sell a tranfer panel kit for portables if they are not up to code.

It is up to the INSTALLER to verify its "legality". The stores will sell you anything they think you will buy. Their justification is that they do not "know how you are going to use it".

DonL

Reaction score
quote; sell a tranfer panel kit for portables if they are not up to code.

It is up to the INSTALLER to verify its "legality". The stores will sell you anything they think you will buy. Their justification is that they do not "know how you are going to use it".

Yep.

And they cover their Butt in the Installation Manual.

After all of the safety BS, is the "Check Your Local Codes" for Code Compliance.

I like to use a Knife Switch.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yep.

And they cover their Butt in the Installation Manual.

After all of the safety BS, is the "Check Your Local Codes" for Code Compliance.

I like to use a Knife Switch.
Is a knife switch like a switch blade? lol:p

DonL

Reaction score
Is a knife switch like a switch blade? lol:p

Kind of, but a Knife Blade Switch is safer.

4Poles-Double-Throw-4PDT-200A-Safety-Knife-Blade.jpg

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Kind of, but a Knife Blade Switch is safer.

View attachment 24042
And it is made in America and has passed the qualified examination. Is that like a UL or ETL or CSA listing? lol The international symbol for on is a little oval shaped in this photo too.

I have a collection of knife switches anyway, both fused and unfused; with arc shields and without. Interior and rain tite, You know, in my "junk" collection these days. Or maybe I gave them away to Habitat for Humanity Restore. Don't remember anymore.

DonL

Reaction score
And it is made in America and has passed the qualified examination. Is that like a UL or ETL or CSA listing? lol The international symbol for on is a little oval shaped in this photo too.

They are E-Bay listed, Made in China.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks