Generator size for submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually I think he was referring to an "inverter-generator" like the Honda EU2000i that uses inverter technology to run efficiently. It speeds up/slows down depending on load, whereas most gennies stay at a constant speed (either 3600 or 1800 rpm).

Arky217

Reaction score
Update on Grundfos pumps

"Their 2 wire, 5gpm, 115v model#5SQ05-180-115v shows to have a FLA rating of 7.7 amps and an overload rating of 11 amps."

Just got off the phone with Grundfos technical support.
They confirmed that the starting current for this model pump is indeed 11 amps.
And that the pump runs at 10,800 rpm.

I also asked about the built in dry running protection, and they claim that if the pump runs
out of water, that it will automatically shut off with no damage, then attempt to automatically restart after a while.

At any rate, it seems to be the pump for my situation seeing as how I will need to run it intermittently for about 6 to 12 months
with my Honda EU2000i until I get grid power hooked up.
Also, the Honda will provide a backup during power outages later on.

I haven't found this pump for less than $600 anywhere; that's about $150 more than I was planning on with a similar 240v
Goulds pump. But if it's just as good a quality as a Goulds, that makes more sense than putting $300/$400 into a cheap
imported generator just to run the pump.

Thanks for all the replies,
Arky

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Actually I think he was referring to an "inverter-generator" like the Honda EU2000i that uses inverter technology to run efficiently. It speeds up/slows down depending on load, whereas most gennies stay at a constant speed (either 3600 or 1800 rpm).

I think it is best to size using a Inverter type if you can.

Expecting a gen to stay at 50-60 HZ may not happen , When you need a pure sin-wave there may be no other choice.

A hand pump works the best. If you have food.

Guy48065

Reaction score
When you need a pure sin-wave there may be no other choice.
Love how most of the examples of products that "need" pure sine wave power are low=power devices that have their own built-in DC supply. Somehow that low-level 3rd-order distortion from a standard genny miraculously passes right through transformers and filters. :rolleyes:

Something that's always confused me...quality pure-sine inverters are very expensive. You see them often in sailboats & such and a 2000W unit can cost $1000-$2000. How is it you can get a Pure-sine gas-powered genny for less? Engines, fuel tanks, alternators are free these days? Something's fishy about the claims...

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Love how most of the examples of products that "need" pure sine wave power are low=power devices that have their own built-in DC supply. Somehow that low-level 3rd-order distortion from a standard genny miraculously passes right through transformers and filters. :rolleyes:

Something that's always confused me...quality pure-sine inverters are very expensive. You see them often in sailboats & such and a 2000W unit can cost $1000-$2000. How is it you can get a Pure-sine gas-powered genny for less? Engines, fuel tanks, alternators are free these days? Something's fishy about the claims...

I wonder about pure sine wave crap too; seems like a ripoff to me....I have inverters in all of my service trucks and my personal vehicle....They are all relatively low cost modified sine wave, either Vector or Duracell brand....we tried one and loved it and installed 4 more over 5 years ago. No problems whatsoever....we run battery chargers, hand tools, work lights, computers, well video equipment, dvd recorders, and the 1/2 hp grundfos pump all the time and have never had a problem with any of the inverters or any of the items we've used with them. They are a lifesaver to me and get used in some respect every day.

DonL

Reaction score
Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
You mind sharing some model #'s and other information? I would like to install one in my hoist, about 2,000 watts.

I have (2) Duracell, 1000/2000 run/surge
(2) Vector 1000/2000
(1) Vector 750/1500

I don't think either of these brands are made anymore, but you might find someone with some leftovers...I just searched Amazon for Vector 1000 inverter and found one for $166.00.

One thing to note, you'll need to use big cables. I have mine on #2 gauge and they are about 8-10' from the battery. I mount them upside down under a shelf in the service body and it is nicely out of the way.

DonL

Reaction score
I have (2) Duracell, 1000/2000 run/surge
(2) Vector 1000/2000
(1) Vector 750/1500

I don't think either of these brands are made anymore, but you might find someone with some leftovers...I just searched Amazon for Vector 1000 inverter and found one for $166.00.

One thing to note, you'll need to use big cables. I have mine on #2 gauge and they are about 8-10' from the battery. I mount them upside down under a shelf in the service body and it is nicely out of the way.

Them are nice play toys.

Get a 2500 W and do it right. Mount it very near the battery. 1-2 Feet.

Yes large wire is required.

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Them are nice play toys.

Get a 2500 W and do it right. Mount it very near the battery. 1-2 Feet.

Yes large wire is required.

Got the 750 as a gift, and the others on really good sales, that's how I ended up with that size; figured I'd go up a size when one of these ever fails.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks