General Ionics 820B bacteriostatic conditioner

Users who are viewing this thread

A_J

Reaction score
Just joined the forum and new to the process so let me know if I need to ask these questions elsewhere. I have done some research on the ionics systems, I have one in my house we bought in 2002 (we will call it system 1). The system 1 since failed to work properly the last few years, it does not consume salt. Last time I paid 200.00 to have Anderson (no longer a dealer) come and "service" the system (1), hasn't worked since. I bought another 820B system (we call it system 2), used, and took it apart and cleaned everything possible as I planned to install the unit and toss/repair the current nonworking ionics system installed in the house. I dumped out the entire tank of resin,carbon and gravel. I know you aren't supposed to have the silver impregnated carbon in the unit for well water. The carbon is for municipality treated water-which is where this used ionics system (2) came from that I bought. I know long story. I know now we need the gravel and the S-759 resin in the system (2) for installation in our home when I remove system (1). Is there a way to reuse what I dumped out of the tank? There are small black particles mixed into the resin, along with some white gravel (I believe). The water and resin/carbon/gravel I dumped out water very dark colored brown, probably from sitting. Any help you can provide would be very appreciated.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would buy resin and gravel to rebed system 2. You can leave the carbon out. You can it from a lot of online dealers or find a local water treatment dealer and ask if they sell resin/gravel. As for system 1, it may be as simple as debris stuck in the venturi. Is the timer working? Does it complete a regen if activated? These units are made by Fleck which is a very good valve. A pic would be good.

A_J

Reaction score
It is a fleck valve, I will try to get a pic posted. As for the resin, I called our only GI/Puronics dealer in our area and they don't sell the S-759 high cap resin to consumers. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the S-759 online to purchase either, only a cation resin. My understanding is that they are not the same. This company that does service GI units charges a $85 service charge, talked to them at length today and very nice, not like Anderson water which has taken advantage of consumers for the last several years including me. I'm almost wondering if I should disconnect system (1) and look at the resin at that tank-maybe its usable? As for cleaning the venturi- I have not - but since I took apart system (2) with help of youtube, I know what and where to look to clean and will clean the venturi on system (1). Also I am not sure about setting the system either-regarding the pins, grain hardness, etc. So I'm wondering if I should stop now as a DIYer and pay the 85 and make sure everything gets set and looked at to run properly. I haven't been able to find much help so far until now.

A_J

Reaction score
Forgot- if I advance the dial, the system will not flush thru the regen tube, not like I have seen done on youtube. The dial does work and advances with the time

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The system must be able to drain. If it does not, remove the drain line from the valve and then check for drain flow. If still no flow, remove the drain flow control and clean. If you have flow at valve, check for clogged tubing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks