General Advice - Septic Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

arroway

Reaction score
My (elderly) parents live in a residential suburb with no city sewer. They have a lagoon system for the neighborhood, but each house has a separate septic tank as well - I've been told that their septic system is "gravity fed" or something like that (I know NOTHING about these things.) I guess basically the tank just allows solid waste to settle and has a line out for the water to go the neighborhood lagoon.

Anyway, never had a problem until now. Pump alarm went off. My brother thinks he can just take out the pump, buy a new one, stick it back in and all is well. He's not a plumber, just fairly mechanical, but says it's easy and nothing to it - just pull it out, replace, plug in and go. He says the pump is basically just to blow air. He actually did pull it out and says it's broken. He actually wanted to try to fix it and I said heck, why not just replace it (they bought the house new in 2002 so I know it's an 11 year old pump).

I want to know is it really this simple? Or are there issues he's not thinking about? I called a local company and they wanted $1050 to repair (or replace, not sure) the pump. That worried me - made me think there is a LOT more to this than just buying a new pump and plugging it in. Thoughts???

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a friend who had a 3-chambered septic system with a pump. His problem turned out to be a buried wire rather than the pump itself.

I don't know what a lagoon system is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks