Genealogy research

Users who are viewing this thread

G

genealogyx

Hi there,
if anyone is intrested, there is a a new website and they have the entire database for family research of the United Kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I dabble in genealogy from time to time. I have spent several days at the NARA library in Laguna Niguel. I actually purchased a microfilm roll from NARA, because it was not available except on the east coast. Sailing list for the boat my great-grandfather and his family, including my grandfather, arrived in Boston on in 1885.

You can get really wrapped up in this stuff, but of course on line anything you want is $$$$$$$$$!

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, yeah Jim, it is almost addictive, and sometimes very difficult. Did you find that information sometimes just stopped? and, you wonder, what? where did the people go? lol. I found that happening to me. That is neat you could trace the sailing lists. I tried to do the same with one side of the family and nothing. One side of the family, one ancestor, their ancestry home was in Kentucky and IN. I still have family in both states and see, or talk to them from time to time. I visited and twice saw the Indy 500. Rumor has it, I had a relative who drove in it, or was a mechanic in it. I could never get it confirmed. I love the Indy and never, hardly ever anyway, miss it on tv. I tried the online services, and used it once or twice on their free trial offers. I found out some things but still not alot. Actually, I did pay for one, I think it was an offer for 6 months, and I did find more things with that one. It is fun to do when you have the time. But, with working, it is hard to squeeze in the time like you would want.

It is something I think most people stop for a while then, go back later and restart searching again. It is fun to do. I bought a graph where you can outline all the names and dates showing who was born to who. I made copies of what I have so far and passed it on to my kids, my nieces and my nephews. So many times, the classrooms makes something like this a classroom project.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
My biggest regret was never thinking about this when my parents were still alive to ask them questions. The old folks and the old countryjust weren't talked about.....they had more important things on their mind. I found out through the internet that I have some cousins....an uncle, my father's brother....that I never knew about! I knew, and met as a child, 6 of his brothers and sisters. Turns out there was another one! Sort of a black sheep, at least by the standards of 1950's middle class America! So he just was never mentioned!

Cookie

Reaction score
Fortunately, I was always interested in history so I asked questions all along growing up to my parents, so I knew some names of relatives we didn't see. Later I met some of those relatives and found out why my parents did not see those relatives but, I keep in touch just not a great deal. We have different lifestyles. What I did find interesting, and I not sure if you found this to be true, but, I loved finding out the different careers of my relatives. On one side of the family, we got welders, horse and carriage drivers, then their off-spring became truck drivers. When I came to an end where the people just stopped, I found out that some of the siblings were nuns.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I can wait.....

If my family tree is anything like half the skumbags

I have to endure at x-mas and the holidays,

I think I would rather wait

to find out about them all untill after I am dead......

I would rather just meet them all in the after-life.

that way I wont find any long lost
realtives that will only want to
borrow money from me ...............now.......

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks