Geberit system hissing - internet says might be a diaphragm?

Users who are viewing this thread

irfaan

Reaction score
Kindly see the video attached. The toilet will often go into a mood and start hissing. This will go on until I manually operate the filling mechanism to fill the tank higher.

I suspect that it is somehow not filling enough and then slowly leaking until a point where it just triggers the filling mechanism to create the hiss. However, there is no leak into the bowl, and I do not know why the top of the post in the video is spurting water.

Hiss is about 4-seconds into the video.

I appreciate your help!

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would be very hard to "see" water going into the bowl.
Turn off the water supply to the toilet and let it sit for a while. Does the water level in the tank go down?
If so, there needs to be a flapper/Seal repair to the flush valve.

With the water on, the fill valve should shut off about 1/2" below the overflow.
If the fill valve is stuttering, there may be a filter that can be pulled and cleaned. Though if you are losing water in the tank, the valve may stutter as it tries to complete the fill too.

irfaan

Reaction score
So - to update almost a year later...

Looks like there is a slight leak into the bowl (tested with food colouring), but the hissing stopped a couple months after my initial post and doesn't seem to have returned. A local plumber suggested that it might have been something to do with air bubbles in the vacuum-tube (? -- far left in the video) slowly clearing over time, now finally cleared.

I should have thanked you a year ago for your quick reply - my apologies for having not done so. Thank you!

I will let you know if anything else comes up. Thanks again!
irfaan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks