Geberit in-wall tank in commercial application?

Users who are viewing this thread

julietmv

Reaction score
I'm an architect and have specified a Geberit in-wall flush down tank with a wall-hung toilet (to be either Villeroy + Boch or Duravit).

My question is this: are these installations meant only for residential applications? I've specified them before in high-end residential work.

I'd like to use these toilets in the bathrooms near the pool area at a country club. I like the style options available for the toilet bowls that work with the Geberit carriers. The looks of most typical flush valve toilets are terrible and too institutional. I don't want to use an American Standard or Kohler flush valve. I also don't want the 20" chase dimension -- the toilets are back-to-back, and I'd much rather have (2) 2x6 walls back-to-back.

I have concerns about maintenance for the toilets and durability in a high-moisture, commercial setting. The plumber who is a sub for our contractor has concerns about these -- I'm sure due to a lack of familiarity.

Can anybody offer some advice?

Many thanks!

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
In CA you'd have to check the specs to make sure it's ADA compliant to use it for that application. As for the durability, it may be questionable because the Duravit has only two bolts to hang the toilet, where as the typical wall mount toilet has four hanger bolts. Also, the Geberit bolts are smaller diameter than the traditional bolts (Geberit~3/8 bolts; traditional ~ 5/8 bolts).

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Wall hung toilets

I have installed a few of these in the past couple of years.

Back when we did the first one I check in on this forum and followed the advice of doubling the 2"x6" studs for help with deflection.

All my installs are rock solid. I weigh 230 and have stood on all durning painting. The units are solid. With heavy use extra care needs to be done so that finished wall doesn't break down and go soft.

I would speck it that the wall is clad with cement board and stone/tile.

There are many plastic parts in the standard carrier. I have seen commercial carriers online in the UK. My gut tells me to go with on of these.

If the unit doesn't link up with your bowl perhaps you could by both units and have a metal shop swap out the bolt location for the bowl???

Good Luck.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I don't want to use an American Standard or Kohler flush valve. I also don't want the 20" chase dimension -- the toilets are back-to-back, and I'd much rather have (2) 2x6 walls back-to-back.

FWIW - I've designed back to back commercial carriers and used a carrier that requires a 13-14" chase.

You could also use a concealed carrier for a commercial flush valve setup.

If you're concerned about a residential style toilet in a commercial application, I would verify that whatever warranty comes with the fixture is not voided due to the commercial installation. Water heaters for example can have their warranties voided or modified if a residential unit is installed in a commercial space.

Another bit of advice, I'd check with the owner of the project about using tank style toilets. Some of my commercial jobs require flush valves because of any possible maintenance issues that may arise with a tank style toilet.

julietmv

Reaction score
Hello to all --

Thanks for your responses! The owner's rep for the country club is a high-end residential builder. He told me he isn't terribly familiar with wall-hung toilet installs, but I explained the Geberit tank system to him and sent him a link to the spec sheet -- and he is comfortable with it.

The plumbing subcontractor is providing a 1-year warranty on the system, so it would be up to him to make any repairs during the first year. I understand that repairs can be made through the hole for the actuator panel on the wall. Anyone have any comments on how easy this is to do?

I will make a note about doubling up the 2x6s on either side of the carrier. We have spec'd backer board and ceramic tile behind the toilet walls, so we're good on that end.

The spec sheet for the Geberit carrier mentions "residential washdown wall-hung toilets" in the first sentence of the description. This is what tipped me off to my question in the first place. I will put a call in to Geberit at this point.

As for ADA requirements, the toilet bowl height can be adjusted to meet the 17"-19" bowl height required, so we are good on that end.

Thanks to all for your comments and please let me know if you have any further insights!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks