ge softner or whirlpool

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by rihorton, Feb 21, 2011.

1. rihorton

rihorton New Member

looking at these two softners, one from lowes the other is at home depot, anyone had any experience with these.
    Whirlpool WHES404, 40000 grain water softner
    Ge GXSF40H, 40000 grain water softner

thanks
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Same unit , with just a different package.............
    Cheap and throw away after a few years.
  3. rihorton

rihorton New Member

thanks for the reply, they are both about 575 each, which to me is not very cheap, how much should a water softner of this size cost, and what brands would be recommended? Neighbor has the whirlpool, had it for about 4 years and he said it still works great, another neighbor that I talked to up the road has a system, not sure of the name brand, but I remember him saying it was around 2500 when he got it and a plumber services it for him, did not ask many questions about what he meant by service, but i think he meat when it needed the salt, etc. that was what he was referring to. How many years would you think one of the GE or Whirlpool units would last?
  4. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

575 is for a unit that some place between 4-7 years is going to have challenges and if they are major then they have the parts, the cost would be about the same to replace or fix,,,... they would like to have you replace.
    There are some on line for under 1000.00 for a fleck 5600 or 2510, both great valves .. long life and parts cheap enough to keep them running for years.
    The 2500 that your one friend talks of is most likely a Corp system or another dealer in the area.
    Dealers are either under a Corp flag or by them self ...

Have you done a water test to find out the iron , hardness, ph, maganise?
    How big is the place?
    How many people?
    Questions that need to be asked and answered.
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Neither of the above, they are both crap. Go with something with a Fleck or Clack valve head on it and stay away from cabinet units.
  6. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Smart advise. Buying one for Home Depot or Lowes is a crap shoot and the house normally wins. Fleck or Clack will give you more years of use than the others.