GE (Rheem) or Bradford White...

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by ssacrf, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ssacrf

ssacrf New Member

I have been lurking at this forum for quite a while, and have learned a lot from other people's troubles...:eek:

It is time to replace my (approx) 14 year old 40 gallon A.O. Smith water heater (original to the house), and it seems pretty clear that the best choices are Bradford White or Rheem...so now the question:

Home Depot sells GE, which from what I understand is made by Rheem (are there any differences b/tw GE and Rheem) ... I am trying to decide between a 50 gallon nat. gas (12 year) at Home Depot vs. a 50 gallon nat. gas (6 year) Bradford White.

any thoughts?
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

If you can get Rheem do it the ones I installed in 1991 had 5yr tank and 1yr
    controls.The longer warrenties cost more for the same tank as the shorter
    warrenties.
  3. ssacrf

ssacrf New Member

Thanks for the reply...I had been leaning toward the Bradford White --- is there a big difference between a Rheem from a supply house and a GE from Home Depot?
    if so, what are the differences? :confused:
  4. what is the cost??

the 12 year GE is probably ok....

it probably cost about the same as the 6 year bradford...

the biggest thing we have notices is no one wants to
    do the warranty service and reapir work on the GE units o
    r the Richmond ones....

Rheem is very cheap about sending anyone out to service their low end lines....

so no one in our town wants to fool with them either

you can have service issues if the heater gives you troubles
  5. ssacrf

ssacrf New Member

Thanks Mark; the Bradford White is almost half the cost of the GE, and from what I gather, it doesn’t make any sense (or cents) to go with the GE --- with proper maintenance I can expect the 6 year Bradford to last well past that, right?
  6. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Bradford white is cool too installed several with no problems down the road.
  7. ssacrf

ssacrf New Member

I really appreciate the replies...It has actually been easier to find a supply house that will sell me a Bradford that I can install myself...I can't seem to find any info on a local Rheem rep...(without going through an installer)
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Bw

I hope the supply house is charging you more than what they would sell it to a plumber for. If not, tell us his name so we can avoid going to him.
  9. ssacrf

ssacrf New Member

??? --- What should one pay for a 50 gallon natural gas Bradford White (6 year) :confused:
  10. rgonyer

rgonyer New Member

Why do you say this? As a plumber, aren't you selling your services? Why would you care if an individual can buy the heater at the same price as a plumber? If he can install it himself properly, great - if he can't then he hires you. Of course I would expect a volume discount if I was buying in quantity, but aside from that I don't understand.

I'm not flaming, just looking for insight.
  11. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

We expect a trade/volume discount....:D

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009