GE Power Vent Water Heater Diagnostic codes

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon L

Reaction score
GE Model GG50t06PVK - Every 2 days or so, my water heater shuts down with 3 lights light on the display illuminating (the 'warm' indicator, and both the "A" and "B" light). Recycling power resets the water heater and it works fine for a couple more days before the process repeats. Water heater is 2 months beyond the warranty (6 years, 2 moths old). Is there a place where I can find diagnostic codes? Does anyone have some insight as to what my heater is experiencing? Thanks! Jon

Jon L

Reaction score
No expansion tank. Further inspection shows the main burner lighting but then extinguishing after a few seconds. What exactly is 'lock out'? The manual speaks of blink codes, but nowhere does it tell how to initiate the blink codes. Is there anywhere I can finda list of the diagnostic lights? I'd like to know exactly what the "A" and "B" lights together mean (other than you have a problem...). Besides waiting for Tuesday when GE opens, is there a next step I should take in troubleshooting? Thanks!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sears may be able to help you.

They sold them, and can repair them. That Model is no longer being made, May be best to get a new one. From China. lol. That one is a Rheem, I do believe.

Very hard to fix from here. Gas is nothing to play with.

Did you read the Manual ? Sounds like maybe not. Sorry if I am wrong.

Welcome to Terry's Forum.

Last edited:

Jon L

Reaction score
Yeah, I did read the manual, and did so before doing anything else. That's what's annoying, the manual gives the diagnostic blink code breakdown, but not a word on how to initiate the blink code. Nor does it list out the failure lights (A and B in my case). Buy a new one? I certainly hope not. This one replaced an el cheapo that lasted seventeen years. This one is 6 years and 2 months old (the warranty is 6 years) - I should have guessed, eh? It was bought at Home Despot, and they were unable to help in determining the code definitions - "we just sell 'em". That's why I was hoping someone, anyone, could direct me to a listing of the diagnostics.

This seems to be a pretty nice forum, glad to have stumbled upon it, unfortunate to the circumstance which brought me here!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Do You know who made the Gas Valve Control ?

Can you take a picture of it, and post it here ?

Good Luck.

Jon L

Reaction score
The label calls it an AP13845A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks