Gasoline Storage tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
If you have a boat big enough that you have to worry about carrying fuel, chances are the lake is big enough that it will have a Marina that sells the proper, High Octane, No Street Tax Fuel, right on the lake..

But DonL, that's not how the rich think. I have helped load a dozen 5 gal. cans into a pickup, then drive 5 miles, fill the tanks, haul them back to the lake house, carry them down to the dock, hold a slow flowing 5 gallon can while emptying it into the boat, then another, then another...Then go for a boat ride, stop at a upscale restaurant on the water & pay $$$ for dinner. But hey...they saved $20 on fuel...

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
But DonL, that's not how the rich think. I have helped load a dozen 5 gal. cans into a pickup, then drive 5 miles, fill the tanks, haul them back to the lake house, carry them down to the dock, hold a slow flowing 5 gallon can while emptying it into the boat, then another, then another...Then go for a boat ride, stop at a upscale restaurant on the water & pay $$$ for dinner. But hey...they saved $20 on fuel...

Lucky you.

I have done the same, but it was just to get enough fuel to make it to the Marina, to fill her up.

I would not use the cheap gas from a gas station in my boat.

I would go to the Airport first.

Have Fun.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most good sized lakes have a marina which does have a fuel pump at the dock. If someone wanted to spend $$$$ to have such a thing on their private property, it can surely be done, but there will be a great expense in doing it, not to mention the red tape required to wade through in order to do it legitimately.

DonL

Reaction score
Most good sized lakes have a marina which does have a fuel pump at the dock. If someone wanted to spend $$$$ to have such a thing on their private property, it can surely be done, but there will be a great expense in doing it, not to mention the red tape required to wade through in order to do it legitimately.

Randy needs to do that, He could be the man.

With a bait shop Too.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
WJ... I totally understand your view. There are HUGE cultural differences all over the USA as well as on this lake. Before it got popular on the internet it was mostly populated by locals and a few celebrities who like to hide out and not be noticed. Once the developers got wind of this place suddenly property values skyrocketed to where nobody around here could afford lake property... all the school buses and pup tents were replaced with condo's and million dollar vacation homes and retirement homes mostly owned by people from out of state. They come in with all the values of people who live in well groomed very private neighborhoods.. complain about the mistreatment of animals and talk all the environmentalist stuff while they destroy all the forest and run off all the wildlife and plant that God awful looking fancy grass where there were trees and bushes and little critters all over the place. But, yep the folks that can afford it do want it all their way... It isn't always about saving a dollar or two. The marina's gas prices range from 50 cents to $1.25 per gallon more. May not have to pay the highway/road use taxes but do have lots of recreational taxes added on. Myself, it is far more convenient for me to throw a couple of 6 gallon gas cans in my car or van and stop at the convenience store for gas.... the other thing is that the marina's are not open 24/7, especially in the off season. You can hardly find a place to buy gas on this lake after 4 or 5 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. For me, it's at least 30 minutes to get to civilization and 7 1/2 miles to the nearest place to spend money... but I love it and wouldn't want to live anywhere else even if I do live in a dilapidated old place that is really good as a fishing camp. My cost of living is so low it wouldn't pay me to move to make big bucks. I just stay here and work my niche of working on lake homes as much as possible... no inspectors, no permits, little legal hassle. Just do it RIGHT and keep everybody happy and safe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By the time you get around to getting all of the permits and safety features, then set it up properly, you could probably buy fuel at the marina for a very long time, and not have to deal with the likely periodic safety checks and liability if there ever were a leak.

FWIW, one gallon of gasoline has about the same energy as 8 sticks of dynamite. Now, getting the right conditions to have it explode don't happen that often, it can. Reminds me of way back when there were Burma Shave signs along the roadways...one comes to mind: 'He lit a match'...'to check the gas tank'...'and that's why'...'they call him'...'skinless Frank'.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
By the time you get around to getting all of the permits and safety features, then set it up properly, you could probably buy fuel at the marina for a very long time, and not have to deal with the likely periodic safety checks and liability if there ever were a leak.

FWIW, one gallon of gasoline has about the same energy as 8 sticks of dynamite. Now, getting the right conditions to have it explode don't happen that often, it can. Reminds me of way back when there were Burma Shave signs along the roadways...one comes to mind: 'He lit a match'...'to check the gas tank'...'and that's why'...'they call him'...'skinless Frank'.
hmmm... my van has a 24 gallon tank. So I'm riding around like 192 sticks of dynamite.... In the real world, this still is not significantly different than gasoline being dispensed anywhere else on water front property. One problem is that an old outboard gets about 2 to 2 1/2 miles per gallon, a more modern boat engine gets about 4 mpg on water. This lake is 35 miles long and the few marinas with gas are about 15 miles apart. Kind of inconvenient... especially if you don't mind spending the money to have this convenience.

DonL

Reaction score
A lightning strike will work very well as a blasting cap for above ground storage.

I remember having to use a lighter to fill a automobile gas tank, Lighter in one hand gas tank in the other. I had no flash light.

I could barely hit the fill hole, just do to shaking and knowing what could happen.

Have fun.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A lightning strike will work very well as a blasting cap for above ground storage.

I remember having to use a lighter to fill a automobile gas tank, Lighter in one hand gas tank in the other. I had no flash light.

I could barely hit the fill hole, just do to shaking and knowing what could happen.

Have fun.

yep... could happen at big time marinas and service stations just as well... and they're not nearly as well designed to be protected from lightning strikes as metal boat docks are. There is a reason that tanks are required to be a minimum distance from other buildings whether above or below ground. Several companies make a good living selling above ground storage tanks for fuel. I think the best example is called tank farms... Thanks for the point very well taken. It is something to seriously consider in any design involving explosives.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks