Gasket or putty under bathtub drain lip?

Users who are viewing this thread

PK

Reaction score
I'm installing a new lift and turn bathtub drain. The new drain is packaged with a rubber gasket, and the instructions seem to show that the gasket goes underneath the drain lip (on top of the tub). The old drain had putty in that location.

I've cleaned out all the old putty, and I found the ring and gasket underneath the tub intact. They seem salvageable.

My question is about the gasket that came with the new drain. The local hardware store clerk said I didn't need putty under the new drain lip (on top of the tub) because "all the new stuff uses gaskets these days." Is that correct? Or should I remove the gasket that comes with the new drain and use putty instead?

Thanks for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gasket

Unless it is a very, very thin gasket, it is the one for under the tub. The seal on top of the tub is somewhat immaterial because it is just to make sure water stays in the tub when the plug is installed. The gasket under the tub is what is making sure water does not leak into the ceiling. But if the gasket is used on top of the tub and is too thick it will create a "dam" around the drain and water will always stay there.

Last edited:

PK

Reaction score
Thanks -- that makes sense. I'll use the gasket that came with the new drain to replace the old gasket under the tub, and I'll use putty on top of the tub.

There's a thin, stiff ring under the old gasket. What's it's purpose, and do I need to replace it as well? I don't have one lying around, so that would mean another trip to town. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gasket

It is probably paper or cardboard. If so discard it because it can prevent the rubber gasket from sealing properly. Its only use would be to help assemble the drain assembly by screwing the shoe ONTO the strainer while holding the strainer stationary. Which is the opposite of what you are doing, or what any plumber would have done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks