Gas WH, Vacation, A, B, C lit, powervent running, no flame

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by LLigetfa, Apr 27, 2011.

1. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Ran out of hot water in the shower last night. Found it odd but blamed the wife for over-filling her soaker tub. I checked the flue and it was hot to the touch.

Came home this evening to the sound of the powervent and the gas valve lit up like a Christmas tree. Rental tank installed in '09. They are sending a tech out in the morning.

No soaker tub for the wife tonight.
  2. LLigetfa

The wife tells me the repair guy showed up without the part he needed. The repair manual says those lights indicate ECO activated, replace gas valve. I hope he shows up with the part soon.
  3. LLigetfa

Problem fixed with a new gas valve.
  4. LLigetfa

Happened again. Same symptoms, Vacation, A, B, C lit, powervent running, no flame.
  5. LLigetfa

Problem fixed again with a new gas valve. It's a good thing this is a rental tank and that I don't have to pay for the service calls.
  6. LLigetfa

Had to get the service guy back out. My guess is when he replaced the gas valve the second time, that he popped the TPR. I had noticed a small puddle but then forgot all about it. The wife noticed that some minerals were crusting on the base of the tube so she called them.

It's a good thing this is a rental tank and that I don't have to pay for the service calls! I'm way ahead of the game at this point. The installer said the rental company stopped using this brand. Gee, I wonder why?