Gas water heater submerged

Users who are viewing this thread

jdhoffman

Reaction score
I've lost 2 gas hot water heaters in 3 years due to basement flooding. I'm tired of this the water gets into the burners which voids the warranty. The thing is if it even gets 3" of water it gets into the burner. I'm thinking of putting in an electric hot water heater will that save me from losing another one

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you should consider addressing basement flooding. Is that ground water seepage or something else?

You could put your new WH on a platform or blocks.

jdhoffman

Reaction score
I think you should consider addressing basement flooding. Is that ground water seepage or something else?

You could put your new WH on a platform or blocks.
I'm taking care of the flood issue as I post this. I'm just thinking that I may be better off putting in an electric water heater. Ive had those before and had it raised on a platform this is a new house and I just replaced what was existing here

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm taking care of the flood issue as I post this. I'm just thinking that I may be better off putting in an electric water heater. Ive had those before and had it raised on a platform this is a new house and I just replaced what was existing here
An efficient heat pump water heater will be expensive and I suspect less reliable. If you have natural gas and the venting is in place, I would go gas. If you live in a place with taxpayer subsidized electricity (taxpayer built dams with electricity sold way below market rates) then the hit for resistance electric heating is much less than places where the electricity generators are heavily taxed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is the recovery rate differences between a typical gas-fired WH verses an electric one...gas almost always is MUCH faster to recover. The standby losses will be worse with the gas one, but if your primary energy use is heating verses cooling, that heat isn't really all lost...it goes into heating the space it sits in.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I bet if you just bought short gas hot water heaters and installed them up on
8 inch concrete blocks you probably would not have that problem again ...or just
do the water heater stands if you have the height....

I am assumeing you have a sump pump pit in the basement
and your power has gone off and flooded you out??? consider an aquanot ll battery operated pump in the pit??

much cheaper to heat with
gas over electric....

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If an electric water heater did go underwater and not above the lower element, you have a long drying time as water will soak the insulation. New water heaters now have a high density foam to meet new energy standards and it would seem hard to believe that it would absorb much water. If flood water gets above the lower element and thermostat, the lower thermostat would need to be changed but it only about a cost of $10 if you do it yourself. If the circuit breaker did not trip and the lower element is under water and power is on to the element, wiring in the water heater could be damaged or burned, then you would need to replace the water heater.

Want to know what is lower cost, Gas or Electric? Here is the Dept of Energy calculator. Just do not get cost and efficiency confused. Lower cost does not mean higher efficiency.

http://energy.gov/eere/femp/energy-cost-calculator-electric-and-gas-water-heaters-0

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you resolve the flooding issue, you will have half of your problem taken care of.

Next, do what everybody suggests: elevate your water heater. And stay with natural gas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks