Gas suspended garage heater, how does it work?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by snafflekid, May 4, 2007.

1. snafflekid

snafflekid Electrical Engineer

I believe that is what they are called. It is bracketed to the ceiling and hangs in a corner of the building. It runs off natural gas and has a fan on the back. What is striking to me is that there is no chimney, so the exhaust goes into the room. Is there any need I should be aware of when using this, i.e. does the room need special ventilation?
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Those types of units are used in warehouse/industrial areas which have a very large air volume and a lot of natural outside air infiltration due to frequent door openings, etc. You would have to check with your local officials to see if that unit would be allowed in your residential garage.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heaters

A more or less generic term for them was Reznor heaters, and all of the ones I have seen had vents on them, unless it is an infrared unit, which might get by without a vent.
  5. zimmee66

zimmee66 New Member

Around the midwest....we call em modines

we seem to call them modines....

Funny how generic brandnames reflect whoever grabbed the market first.