Gas shut off valves at appliances only?

Users who are viewing this thread

jwilson

Reaction score
I'm adding some appliances and upping my meter and gas header size to 1". The existing plumbing has a 3/4" shut off valve soon after the meter. Does the code require I put in a shut off valve near the meter or do I only need valves at the appliances?
Thanks

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
That valve was most likely installed because the area you live in requires the gas company to shut off the gas at the meter. All new construction around here has ball valves after the meter.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Kingsotall and HJ indicat, that valve at the meter is a local thing. Not required where I am either. That point aside, let's back off and look at this. If you have several gas appliances, there may be times when you will need to have work done on one of them that will required the gas be turned off. If all you have is that valve at the main, every appliance will be off until the work on the one is completed. Any pilot lights will have to be relighted. Gas valves for individual appliances makes perfect sense. They are not only sensible, but the do not cost very much.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be like wire a house with no switches or outlets. Everything wired solid on one circuit.:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks