Gas Pipe Testing

Users who are viewing this thread

FredC

Reaction score
For the Pro's on line
I have recently installed about 115 feet of 1 1/4" black pipe with 3/4' stub outs to my furnaces, stove water heaters and other accessories in my home and need to understand proper testing before getting the propane tank. I built and attached a test rig with a shrader valve and a pressure gage on a tee in the trunk line at the point of entry into my house. I have applied 40 PSI to all lines and blown out any debris from the installation process.

It is my undertsanding that you should put 15 to 20 PSI and hold for an hour. I put 20 psi on at 6:26 and just checked and am holding fine at 7:25. I will let it sit and check it in the morning, but am sure it will be fine. I had planned on getting into the attic to soap all the joints tomorrow, but am not sure how far to increase the pressure. I know propane and natural gas run between 1/2 PSI up to 14 inches water column.

So my question is holding 20 PSI overnight good enough and what pressure should I use when I soap the joints in the morning. Thanks in advance

Fred C

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you put it at 20 pounds and 12 hours latter it has slightly changed it could be off the air temp change.

If it holds the presser then why are you soaping the joints? If it holds 20 pounds for an hour then you should pass you inspection but it dose not sound as your getting one.

If you have an issue in the long run and you burn down your house then insurance will not do anything for you if it is not legal.

CHH

Reaction score
FredC said:
For the Pro's on line

So my question is holding 20 PSI overnight good enough and what pressure should I use when I soap the joints in the morning. Thanks in advance

Fred C

Twenty psi overnight is beyond most code requirements. One jurisdiction required ten psi for ten minutes. My current jurisdiction requires twenty psi for twenty-four hours. Keep it at twenty to soap test the joints. Since you've already pressure tested there shouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget to test again after appliance hook-up. As another poster mentioned, pull a permit and get it inspected. It might not be safer but it is one less loophole for the insurance folks.

FredC

Reaction score
Assumptions

Got Nailed
Thank you for your input, but did you mean I do not need to do any further testing, and please do not be so quick to assume I am trying to avoid an inspection. I am looking for advice before I call the propane company who will test my system to the regulations. The questions I asked were intended to assist me in performing tests that are "over and above" what the minimum requirements are. I live in the country and am only subject to inspection by the Railroad Coommission that regulates and oversees propane. Testing requirements are limited to 15 PSI for an hour. I am looking for the best test I can perform to satisfy myself, that goes beyond what the inspector wants and want to ensure that I not only meet, but exceed the state requirements. I understand that I have sized my gas pipe for about 550,000 BTU and want to ensure myself that everything is good. Thanks for your reply
FredC

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry; I read your post as you were doing this with out inspection. But if the psi only changes slightly in a 12 hours most of the time it will be because of temp change. There would be no need in soaping the joints unless there was a leak. If there is no leak then you will not see any bubbles with your soap water.

I will say that one thing that dose get over looked is bonding the pipe to your electrical system with in 5 inches form coming into the house. With that much pipe it will fit under “likely to become energized†NEC.

KD

Reaction score
I think it is within 5 feet of gas pipe entry point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks