gas pipe size

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by randolph56, Feb 14, 2011.

1. randolph56

randolph56 New Member

Good morning all. Don't know if this is the right forum but here goes. I want to replace my current 40 gal NG water heater with a power vent model.(AO Smith GPVD40?) The current heater is next to the boiler sharing the flue and about 40' from where I need the hot water. I want to move the WH over to the other side of the house right below the kitchen and 2nd floor bath and vent it thru the foundation. There is a 3/4 gas line that supplies my stove about 5' from where I'm going to move the WH to. The current 1 shares an 1 1/4" feed that breaks down to 2- 3/4" drops, 1 to the WH and 1 to the boiler (both are further reduced to 1/2"). Finally, the question. Does the 3/4" that feeds my stove have enough volume to also feed the WH. or should I increase the size to 1" or 1 1/4"? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

3. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Sounds fine to me unless its huge range with a grill and 12 kids at home. Try it, cant hurt anything.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Recommended gas lines sizes depend on several computations none of which you have given us.
  5. randolph56

randolph56 New Member

gas size

Thanks for the replies. After I posted and then did some more searching I realized that I didn't give enough info. From the link I figured what cfh was needed and the capacity/volume of 3/4 with the length and # of 90's etc. So, yes in my case 3/4 will handle what I need, but just to be sure, I called the utility. Thanks again.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011