Gas Pipe for Seperating Gas Meters

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am considering putting 2 gas meters (instead of one) on a home I own. I have called the gas company and asked them about it, they told me that they would charge me to come in and install a second meter, and that the gas lines would all have to be in place and pass inspection before they do it. I have installed and worked with black iron and other gas lines before, running gas to boilers, furnaces, hot water tanks, and appliances. What is involved in getting ready for the gas company to hook up a meter?

Thanks in Advance,
Molo

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Unless it is a duplex type setup they normally charge an extra $25 a billing cycle for the second meter. I would like to know why you would want a second meter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
meter

Just as they said. You have to install the gas lines to whichever appliances will be on that meter, then have them tested and inspected. Once that is done the city will allow the meter to be set.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is the incoming gas supply pipe large enough to support the demand? Regardless of what YOU plan to run, the gas company will assume that the usage will be the full volume available from the 2 meters, and my guess is they would not put them in if the incoming is not large enough.

Help us out here . We are wildly curious to know why you want two meters!

Molo

Reaction score
sorry for the omission

Sorry for the ommission, I have college student tenants in a duplex, and they keep it way to warm for me to be paying the utilities (thats what I do now). So I'm looking into seperate meters. The gas line comes in the house hits a T, the right hand side goes to one apt, and the left to the other apt. Thats all i know right now. Seems like it might not be too difficult to get this seperated for the second meter but then again never done this before. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,
Molo

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

The incoming gas utility pipe is under extremely high pressure so it would have no problem supplying many gas meters at the normal system low pressure. From you description it is a simple matter to separate them, but their side would still have to be tested for leaks before the city would approve the installation of the meter.

Molo

Reaction score
Gas Company coming out

I'm going to meet with the gas company myself to see what they say. I'll do the work myself if it's simple enough and I can get my hands on the proper tools. I would love to get out of this for under $200! Could it be possible?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
$

If everything goes properly, a plumber might be able to do it for less than that, as long as you spend the time and money for the permit. If any leaks develop, then the cost depends on how long it takes to find and fix them.

Molo

Reaction score
Gas company quote

Gas company guy went to the home today and gave me a quote of $208.28 to install the new meter. Then I (or someone else) will have to plumb to the meter. Then he comes backm out hooks up the new line to the new meter and pressure tests the lines to the appliances. Does this price and process sound right? Now, I have to see if I can get my hands on some tools to run the gas line to the meter, because I will do it if I can.

Molo

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

It would not be like that here. In this area, someone has to get a permit, pressure test the gas lines at 10 psi, have the pressure test inspected and certified, then the city inspector tells the gas company that they can install the meter. All the utility does is connect the meter and then watch the dial after the turn the gas back on to see if there are any leaks. They do not do pressure testing or leak locating.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would urge you, local code requirments or not, to hire a licensed plumber for your job. Gas lines need to be right the first time. Water pipes will show you where you screwed up, and while they can be a PITA to fix, a leaking water line won't kill you. At the very least, follow HJ's outline above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks