Gas line under patio - How to cap?

Users who are viewing this thread

dback64

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought a new house and the previous owner installed a gas grill on the patio. Additionally, there is a capped copper gas line in another area of the patio that sticks up about a foot. I cannot turn off this pipe without turning off the grill, so I just want to cap it closer to the patio, maybe chip out the patio and bury it? Is this possible and what is the best (safest) way to do this? Thanks Jeff

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Is this copper gas line embedded into the concrete without any protection? If so I would abandon the gas line as it poses a risk for down the road with pitting/corrosion on the pipe itself leading to a potentially dangerous situation.

If it is protected, shutting the gas off to the copper line and using an air compressor to dissipate the residual gas will allow for capping.

Remember that you will need a way for air to escape on a closed line to solder back a fitting. Soldering a MIP on the end of the gas line and using a brass threaded cap may be the best way to go.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Gas lines are not permitted to pass under a patio because of the danger of an explosion from trapped gas in case of a leak. And depending on the type of pipe used, although I assume a DIY'er used steel pipe, it could be a candidate for failure and leaking, especially if he did not use the proper pipe and it was not installed properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks