Gas LIne Sizing?

Users who are viewing this thread

AK_Nick

Construction Management, Civil Engineering
Reaction score
I am installing a new gas line to convert my electric dryer to a gas dryer. I have done gas line work before and understand the processes and risks. I just need help to make sure that I am supplying enough gas to my appliances. I am going to try and explain my system as best as possible.

Starting at the meter I have a 1" main that supplies all my appliances. 14.5' from the main I have a tee that I will use for my dryer. 5 additional feet I have stubbed a line for my range. 6 additional feet I have a line stubbed to my furnace. At this point my main ends and is reduced to a 3/4" line to my instant hot water heater.

The run to the range/oven is 20.5' @ 1/2"
The run to the furnace is 3.5' @ 3/4", then 2' @ 1/2"
The run to the instant hot water heater is 21.75' @ 3/4"

The pipe in question is the new one to my Dryer this will be 28 feet at either 1/2" or 3/4"? This is where I need help.

My furnace has an input rating of 66,000 - 45,000 BTU/hr
My instant hot water has an input rating of 180,000 max - 15,000 min. BTU/hr.
I am not sure about the range/oven, but it is a standard four burner range and oven.
The gas dryer I just bought is a standard 7.0 cubic foot dryer. I am not sure the BTUs.

Sorry for the long message, but I have noticed from previous listings that more info is always needed.

Thanks,

Nick

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Not meaning to sound rude but your question is impossible to answer without the BTU of the dryer you bought and also the pressure your gasline is running at.

I would assume it's low pressure, or 7" W.C or less. If it is then I'm gonna just guess that you'll be putting a strain on the system. I'm too lazy this time of night to size out the gas line for you (especially without knowing the input of the dryer and pressure the line is under.).

If you're running a 2psi system then I'd be willing to bet that you're perfectly A-OK.

We still need more info :D

AK_Nick

Reaction score
The dryer manual says that gas requirements for the dryer are 10 -13 WC. I could not find a btu rating. I also found on my gas meter the tag read 5 psi. Are these the right places to be looking for this information? Should I hook up a pressure gauge to the gas meter to know exactly the pressure in the system?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
5 psi is the maximum pressure rating of the meter, not what the incoming pressure is necessarily. The National Fuel Gas code book has all the charts that you will you need once you know the incoming pressure and the dryer input.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

YOUR system would NEVER be a 5psi system, nor would it be a 2psi system because it does not have the demand and parameters which would make a 2psi system logical. Given your numbers, you are already undersized. You should have 1 1/4" from the meter to the range, and 1" from there to the water heater. 1/2" is all you need from the main to the dryer.

AK_Nick

Reaction score
I talked with the gas company and they informed me that my system was a
7" WC or 1/4 lb system pressure. They also informed me to size the line to my dryer using a 35,000 btu rating.

Thanks,

Nick

AK_Nick

Reaction score
Glad to hear you had a great time in Girdwood. You should definatly make it up for some skiing.

Nick

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I talked with the gas company and they informed me that my system was a
7" WC or 1/4 lb system pressure. They also informed me to size the line to my dryer using a 35,000 btu rating.

Well, there's a couple more pieces to the puzzle so with manual in hand you should be all set.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks