gas line install

Users who are viewing this thread

tregg

Reaction score
I'm doing a kitchen remodel. Are there any products other than black iron pipe to run natural gas to the cook top?
I don't have a pipe threading tool and I don't like the idea of running back and forth to the Home store Thx !

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
For any gas work it is always best to consult a licensed professional. Gas is dangerous stuff

[video=youtube;xxNpz41wSOg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxNpz41wSOg[/video]

[video=youtube;0jmGzRgUH-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jmGzRgUH-Y[/video]

Check out this electric water heater blast

[video=youtube;GF_Wrm-Ns0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_Wrm-Ns0I[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm doing a kitchen remodel. Are there any products other than black iron pipe to run natural gas to the cook top?
I don't have a pipe threading tool and I don't like the idea of running back and forth to the Home store Thx !

Depends on your local codes but you generally have 3 options:

1. Black Iron
2. Copper
3. Corrugated Stainless Steel tubing.

gas_sizing_chart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
CSST is usually only sold to licensed contractors who have undergone certification training. The training is almost NEVER given to DIYers. Copper MUST be either flared or brazed, it CANNOT be soldered.

D1Case

Reaction score
CSST is usually only sold to licensed contractors who have undergone certification training. The training is almost NEVER given to DIYers. Copper MUST be either flared or brazed, it CANNOT be soldered.

CSST is readily available to DIYers at Lowes. Lowes also sells the "simple" manual for the required training.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A few points.

Copper is allowed in certain areas of the country, and not others. It is related to the sufur content of the local gas supply. You will have to ask. The CSST tubing does require special tools, and skill. It was never intended to be a DIY product, but as mentioned, the $$$$ rules and it is now available. We simply do not recommend gas work as a DIY project. You don't have the skill to install, nor the tools to properly test a gas installation.
For CERTAIN, your city/state/county building code requires a permit for gas work, and in many areas they DO allow homeowners to pull a permit. At least then, the work will get some kind of inspection.

As far as WHICH material, I personally do not consider anything other than black pipe to be safe. There are very unique electrical bonding requirements involving CSST to prevent blowouts from lighting strikes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks